Please sign in to post.

transportation from airport

This is our first trip to Italy and I have no idea of how to arrange things. What I need to know is - is there a web site I can go into to hire a car to meet us at the airport in Rome and drive us to our hotel, or should we be able to pick up a taxi with no problem once we exit the airport. Also any idea of what it should cost so we don't get ripped off.
Thanks

Posted by
32325 posts

Linda, The easiest and most cost effective way to get from Rome / FCO to the city is via the Leonardo Express (train), which arrives at Termini station. The trip is about 30-minutes and no worries about traffic. The fare is ~€14 PP and you can buy tickets at the airport (DON'T forget to validate in the yellow machine!). As I recall, if you purchase the ticket at one of the staffed ticket windows, the fare will be €15 PP. Depending on where your Hotel is located, you can either walk or take a Taxi from Termini. There are always lots of Taxi's right outside the front door (with your back to the tracks, walk straight ahead). It might be a good idea to carry a small note with the name and address of your Hotel written on it. That will help to avoid any confusion with the Taxi Drivers. I've found that some have good English skills, while others have very "limited" ability to function in English. Roma Termini tends to be a bit chaotic at times, but that's normal (you'll get used to it). I'd highly recommend that you wear a Money Belt, especially on the Metro or Buses. As this is your first trip to Italy, you might find it helpful to check your local Library or book stores, and have a look at the Italy Guidebook. There's a LOT of information there that will help to make your trip go smoothly. It provides good listings for Hotels, some restaurants, and good tips on sightseeing. Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
8700 posts

If you decide to take a taxi rather than the Leonardo Express, you won't be ripped off so long as you take an official Rome taxi. There is a fixed fare (€40) for up to four passengers, including luggage, for all destinations inside the Mura Aureliane (central Rome).

Posted by
1446 posts

Use Rome Cabs. Many people on this and other forums highly recommend them. Their price is almost the same as the cabs and the driver will wait for you right outside the baggage claim area holding a sign with your name on it. Our flight from NYC was 5 hours late arriving into Rome and I was worried that the driver would not be there but there he was waiting for us! He had monitored our flight and knew we would be late. The car was comfortable and air conditioned and the driver was very friendly and we enjoyed our chat from the airport to our apartment in Rome. By using Rome Cabs, it took the guess work out of having to look for an "official" taxi as Rick talks about in his book.

Posted by
23566 posts

The fixed rate for taxi to Rome was recently increased to 45E. You can take the SITBUS shuttle to Termini for 8E/person And you can take a local train from the airport that makes a couple stops prior to Termini for about 6E. It was 5.50E a couple years ago am sure it has increased since them. Once at Termini you need to get to your hotel. If within walking distance of Termini great but if further you will need a taxi. You are using the term we so I assume at least two of you. The taxi directly to your hotel would be closed to a train ride and a taxi. If taking a taxi, use the starter, AND confirm with the driver that it is fixed at 45E.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. We have decided to go with transfers Rome just because we are new to travelling and it seems the most efficient albeit most expensive way to go.
Thanks again

Posted by
2207 posts

Linda - congrats on your upcoming trip to Italy. You'll have a great time! As you have chosen - and since it's your first time in Italy - you would probably be best served by utilizing a car service - like Rome Cabs or Roma Shuttle. Both do a great job. To help you with your arrival (if you reconsider), take a look at these links which cover Arriving at FCO, Using the FCO train station, Geting to (and From) the FCO Airport, the SITBus Shuttle Option, and if necessary, Places where to meet at FCO Airport. Linked is a post that outlines (with a map) the fixed taxi rate zone. The rate increase has been "approved" but is not yet being used - Probably in the next few weeks... I arrive in about 10 days and am headed OUTSIDE the GRA so I want the new rates in place as it will actually be cheaper for me! Therefore, the new rates will probably not start for three weeks.... or until I get back! Have fun!

Posted by
1022 posts

I second Rome Cabs for reliable service with English-speaking drivers and nice vehicles. We've used them a couple of times and will do so the next time we're in Rome.

Posted by
358 posts

The first time we visited Rome I took the train into the Termini station which was suppose to be close to the hotel where we were staying. The Rome streets are cobblestone type streets and not easy on the luggage.
I would recommend taking a taxi like most people suggested and the fixed rate is nice.

Posted by
348 posts

We used Larus Car service from Milan to Lake Lugano straight fro the airport to the hotel. Service was great, so glad I did it. The rates should be $41 for the service for 2 persons. The site is laruscar.net

Posted by
23566 posts

David, the question was about Rome airport not Milan.

Posted by
348 posts

Yes Frank I know that. They have service is for all airports. The fare I wrote is obviously not MIlan to lake Lugano that would much more than 41 euro. The fare was from FCO to rome city

Posted by
1157 posts

I also recommend Rome Cabs (romecabs.com). I heard about it via this forum and was very happy to see that our driver was there holding a card with my name on it even though my flight was 3 hours late in arriving! As of last October, they don't even ask for a credit card no., it's just the honor system. The cost was E45, we used them going both ways, to and from the airport.

Posted by
508 posts

Linda - We have used Rome Shuttle Limousine (www.romeshuttlelimousine.com) several times over the past 5 years. We have had at least one late flight and they were there waiting for us with a sign right outside of baggage claim. I think their current price is €40 for up to 3 people including luggage. You might also want to check with your hotel. Sometimes they have arrangements with a transportation company and can provide the service for a much cheaper price than you can arrange yourself. We have done that several times in other cities for late night arrivals such as Istanbul, Prague and Dubrovnik.