Please sign in to post.

Transportation

I am staying in a villa (via pianello, 1, 40042 Lizzano in Belvedere BO, Italy) and want to be able to get from the airport to the villa. I am not yet sure if I am flying into Bologna or Florence.

What is the best way to get to my villa? Any suggestions on how to find out if a train will get me there?

I would really like to avoid renting a car if possible.

Posted by
795 posts

Well....I just put it into google maps from Florence and its at least 3 modes or transportation, a bus, a train, and a bus and then a walk that would take 3 hours and 40 min or so (and from Bologna airport, same, bus, train, bus and about a 10 min walk for 3 hours).....not my cup of tea if I were to land sleep deprived in Italy.....if you are DEAD SET against renting a car, I would possibly take the bus/train to a generally larger town nearby and plan on meeting a driver to drive you there (though from Berzantina, where the bus departs from on the Bologna trip, its still 30 min away by car) to get you the more challenging part. Can you ask the resort owners what they suggest? They maybe would have a driver to recommend or other ideas. That's not something I would want to take on myself.

Posted by
11636 posts

I would ask the facility what they recommend. Looks like a train/bus combo from either major airport will take 3+ hours. Perhaps Borgo Pianello has an arrangement for transfers with a professional driver.

Posted by
1635 posts

The closest train station is Porretta Terme, on the Pistoia/Bologna old railway line. The line has only local traffic and Porretta acts as the border station between services to/from Pistoia and Florence and services to/from Bologna; services to Bologna look a little easier (no change and regular, once every hour, timetable). Once you are in Porretta, the villa is still one hour by bus. Looks like a very remote place. Even getting there by car does not look easy.

Posted by
15832 posts

Not advisable without a car.
You should either rent a car or change accommodations.
If you don't want to rent cars you need to stay in a city/town with good public transport connections.
I know the area and it's not easy to reach, it's pretty, but very mountainous and secluded. It's a long (stomach twisting) drive even from Pistoia, the closest city. Those villas are perfect vacation spots for those Germans or Northern Europeans who rent a place for a couple weeks at the time and love hiking and nature, but don't drive too far to visit places. So unless you are one of those type of vacationers, I wouldn't use it as a base to take trips around Tuscany or Emilia. It takes forever to drive anywhere from there.

Posted by
1000 posts

The OP is staying at this villa for his niece's wedding based on his other posting. So he should reach out to his niece or her family for suggestions on how to get there.