Please sign in to post.

transportation

My husband & I are travelling from Florence to Praiano on Sunday Sept. 28th. What is the best way to get there - train, boat or bus or combination of all 3?

Posted by
6898 posts

Probably the easiest way is to take the Trenitalia train from Florence to Naples. The journey takes about 3.5hrs on the Eurostar Alto Velocito train and costs 58Euro per person. CLICK HERE to see the morning runs for 9/28.

Next, at the Naples Garabaldi train station, go down to the lower level and buy a ticket on the local Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. This is a private train system for the area but is primary local system. Journey should be about 70 minutes and cost about 11Euro.

Finally, from the Sorrento train station, take the SITA bus to Praiano. CLICK HERE to see the bus schedule. Look at the bottom schedule. Also note that there are reduced bus runs on Sundays which are also called festival schedules. On the schedule, note the times under the letters G (daily) and H (Sundays and holidays).

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you Larry. The info and web links were very helpful. Are you familiar with the boat from Naples to Amalfi? We were wondering if it runs on Sunday.

Posted by
192 posts

I would take the train from Florence to Sorrento using the above posted info and then bus down to the harbor and take the ferry to Praiano. Will be a more pleasant trip relaxing on the ferry then being cooped up on the bus - and should be faster too.

Posted by
6898 posts

Once again for clarification, Praiano has a small dock but the ferries don't stop there. I'm looking at two different maps from ferry providers and it's not on the maps or timetables. For the ferries, Amalfi or Positano are the closest. You'll have to take a SITA bus to Praiano. You could take a water taxi from Amalfi for 30Euro.

Here's the info from the Hotel Onda Verde in Praiano on how to get there. "From Positano you can reach us by taking a water taxi which charges Euro 30,00. Our hotel is only 50 meters from the landing-stage. Our management will reserve water taxi services for you with pleasure if you request us to. Alternatively, we don’t recommend that you disembark at Positano, as the distance from the dock to the main road is over 500 meters. Covering this distance on foot with all your baggage would be very tiring. Instead, we advise you to disembark at Amalfi, where there is a bus stop only 20 meters from the port. Take a SITA bus going towards Sorrento from here."