Please sign in to post.

transportation

I will be arriving in the Pisa airport on a Monday. The train, allowing enough time for customs will not get me to Bologna until 5:09 PM. Is there a bus from Pisa to Bologna and if so where do I find the schedule? I am wondering if a bus would get me there faster that the train which goes to Florence first? The actual train travel time is close to 2 hours.

Posted by
46 posts

Checking the Trenitalia site shows that it is only a 2 hr trip by train from Pisa Centrale to Bologna connecting in Florence. Looks like they leave every 30 minutes or so. When we landed in Milan, we simply walked out of the airport. There was no line or delay in customs at all. We had all carry on luggage so we didn't have to wait for luggage. You didn't say what time you land, but I would be surprised if a bus could get you to Bologna any faster.

Posted by
19 posts

Thak you for replying. We land in Pisa at 12:05 and will not check any luggage. There is a train leaving at 1:11, but I am not sure if that is enough time to go through customs. When we landed in Milan, Sept. two years ago, we waited in customs for a long time, may 1 1/2 hours. If I purchase a ticket for later than 1:11, but breeze through customs, will they let us take the earlier train? If so how do we go about doing this?

Posted by
46 posts

I think you would be fine by buying your train tickets after you land and just play it by ear. We were in Italy around the 1st week in May and never had an issue with just going up to a kiosk and buying tickets on the next train. I printed a list of the train options so I could determine what was going to work - just in case I missed one. The trains leave Florence every 30 minutes, so if you missed one the next one is just a few minutes. I was nervous about the trains on our first trip, but after going on a couple it was pretty easy. Although I never figured out how to get 2 seats next to each other. I could get them face to face but not next to each other.

Posted by
346 posts

Luann, I am not travel expert, but, when we traveled to Italy in June, we went JFK to Zurich to Venice. Customs was in Zurich. Once we landed in Venice, there was no additional customs/entry to go through-we just picked up our bags and left. If this is the case, you might have enough time, given that the airplane is on time and how long it takes to get to Pisa Centrale form the airport.

Posted by
32921 posts

you will encounter no border controls as long as you stay in the Schengen zone Probably. There have been concerns in some countries about illegal immigrants moving and some countries have thought about putting border controls back from time to time. So, unlikely, but possible.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you. We will be coming in from Barcelona, Spain. It seems as though we would have to go through customs, since we are entering from another country?

Posted by
2876 posts

Customs is a walk-through unless you have something to , which is highly unlikely. You will go through passport control in the first Schengen zone country in which you land from the US. After that, you will encounter no border controls as long as you stay in the Schengen zone.

Posted by
19 posts

Hi Tom, thanks for replying. I am not so sure I understand going in the line Sch??? as entering from the US. We are from the US, but will first be in Barcelona Spain for a few days then flying to Pisa, Italy. Does this follow what you had explained?
Thanks

Posted by
2876 posts

Luann - yes, you won't have any customs or passport checks between Spain and Italy.