Please sign in to post.

Translator app?

Time got away from us, and although we had high hopes to spend weeks studying DuoLingo or Babbel before our early September Italy trip, it appears we won't have much time to study at this late date. Conversely, are there translator apps or devices that might be of use for our adventure?

Posted by
2897 posts

I had good luck with Microsoft Translator app while touring southern Italy in May. There is also Google Translate. Download both to see which you prefer. Neither one is perfect. However, since I’m language tone deaf, the apps helped a lot.

Also watch RS Italian for Travelers to learn helpful phases. I listened to it at least 15 times to glean my 15 words. It was a good use of my walking time. There are more languages lessons on YouTube.
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks/italian-language

Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
381 posts

Google Translate has done me great service in several different countries. Make sure you download the languages you need to your phone before you go away so you won't need an Internet connection to get a translation.

Although I haven't actually used this function, it also includes a way to take a picture of a sign and get a translation, which is especially useful for countries that don't use the Latin alphabet.

Posted by
238 posts

Used Google Translate in Paris, Prague and Rome and it worked just fine. Than again, English was generally spoken more than not - a little more "not" in Paris than the other two but still......

Posted by
9109 posts

Don't sweat it, when on the tourist trail most anyone who wants your money will speak english. . While I do have the Google translate app in installed on my phone, I've never once come across any situation that needed use of the voice translate feature. Occasionally I will use the photo feature to translate restaurant menus or labels at the supermarket, but that's the extent of it. Just learn the local greetings and you are good to go.

Posted by
7697 posts

I would agree that loading Google Translate is sufficient. I also agree that you will not need it much, it really would only be a back-up if you get stuck, or run into a situation where you have time to use it. For general conversation, it works, but is awkward, and 95% of the time spoken simple English will work.

In regards to Google Translate, I have tried translation apps and programs over the years with mixed success, but the latest versions have just gotten better and better, whether you speak, write, or use the image function. It is not perfect, but like I said, as a back-up it is more than sufficient.

Posted by
12 posts

Translator apps are indeed helpful in addition to lesson based apps like Duolingo. Italian Translator + is an app that includes a phrase translator along with some other useful features. You'll need an internet connection for the translator but if you select a translation as a favorite it's available offline. The app has a phrasebook and flashcards. The verb conjugator is useful for polishing your language skills. You can download it for free on iPhone, Android and other devices. It's complimentary to apps like Babbel and Rosetta Stone which don't include reference tools for language learners.

Posted by
5697 posts

Using Google Translate to read signs (no data connection needed) -- fantastic! May still need to guess some, but it's a good start.
Just make sure you download Italian before you get there.

Posted by
32253 posts

I imagine the OP has already travelled to Italy and is now back home. It would be interesting to get a post-trip report on whether h/she used any translator apps and how they worked out.