Please sign in to post.

Transfers in Venice

We will need a transfer from the train station to the Sant' Angelo stop with 8 people and luggage. What is your best recommendation?

We will also need a transfer from Sant' Angelo to the airport for 6 people with luggage. Recommendation?

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey cajun
Hope you’re getting this trip settled in. it’s a job with ups and downs about planning and want everything to work with your gang. don’t stress or get gray hairs!!! plan A to plan B to plan C.
for your group book a private water taxi both ways, it’s about 120E. Check motoscafivenezia.it/en. We have used them few times, great way to arrive, get acclimated where you are, zigging and zagging, getting lost is an adventure, wear comfy shoes, lots of walking over bridges, stairs/steps.
are you renting a car at all? Make sure any and all drivers get an IDP from AAA, translates your drivers license.
enjoy have fun, don’t forget your gelato stops.
aloha
GO NINERS!!🏈👍

Posted by
973 posts

I agree, private water taxi! Such a cool way to arrive in Venice, also so easy!

Posted by
6040 posts

Sant’ Angelo is just 6 or 7 stops on Vaporetto from station
I’d just do that
Exactly how much luggage?

Get a length of stay vaporetto pass

Water taxi to airport when you leave

Posted by
71 posts

We are coming from my son's wedding in Florence so we will each have a suitcase and carry on. (can't travel light on this trip). I saw that it is just a couple of stops away, so I thought the vaporetto might be the best option and getting a private taxi to the airport would be better. Just thought I would ask what others found to be the best option.

Thanks all...

Posted by
6040 posts

How far is your hotel from the vaporetto stop?
If it’s on a canal you might consider water taxi otherwise the water taxi can’t get you any closer than the vaporetto can

By “carry on” do you mean an actual suitcase or just knapsacks?

Posted by
2299 posts

Hey hey Cajun
Other poster says 6 to 7 stops, you say couple. The private water taxi will be cheaper from train station, maybe 60-70E, just guessing. When you get off train walk straight to the gorgeous sight of grand canal, boats will be waiting and ask how much? You can also do a “dummy” booking online and price should show up.
europeforvisitors.com has lots of info.
you’ll be sharing that vaporetto with many others who have bags also. After a fun wedding and time in Florence, relax in a nice ride down canal to your hotel. It will get you as close as you can. Splitting costs amongst all makes it worth it. That’s my 3 cents worth
Aloha

Posted by
11174 posts

We will also need a transfer from Sant' Angelo to the airport for 6 people with luggage

The time of day will have some affect on your choices and cost

Having to be to the airport for a 6-7AM flight is much different than getting there for a noon flight.

Posted by
1223 posts

The Sant Angelo vap stop is past Rialto, on the San Marco side of the Grand Canal. Walking there from Ferrovia would be very hard work.
Two choices.
Vaporetto, costing 7.50 euro per person, or 60 euro for a party of eight.
Water taxi, costing maybe 80 euro. Aa no brainer, get a water taxi.

Departing.
Vap to Piazle Roma and land bus. 7.50 for the vap, 8.00 for the bus, 15.50 per, 93.00 total.
Alilaguna from Rialto, 18 euro per, 108.00 for the six of you.
Water taxi, about 110 euro total. Again, do the water taxi.

Posted by
32735 posts

The cost of the water taxi versus the cost of the vaporetto times the number of people is a bit of a red herring.

Most people who have ambitions to see some of Venice will have a vaporetto pass which is hugely less expensive than multiple tickets for every trip.

In that case the marginal cost for the inbound ride from Ferrovia to Sant' Angelo would be zero and the ride on the way out to catch the bus at P Roma would equally be zero, just the actual bus would be extra.

The decision would be would the party like to experience the taxi.

Posted by
3941 posts

Just trying to get all those people and all that luggage on what is likely to be a very crowded vaporetto (as someone who has only done it with a carry on and a personal size - it's maddening) - I'd just arrange for a water taxi.

Posted by
1226 posts

In my experience, time of day may play a factor in how crowded the vaporetto is.

Posted by
3941 posts

I’ve found the vaporetto really busy unless it’s before about 9am or in the evening. When we got there last year around lunch (our 5th visit, carry on size only, plus our shoulder bag) the vap was so crammed, we were basically held upright by the crowd. (We were heading to San Toma stop, just before Rialto). And the people trying to get off were pushing and shoving to get off, you couldn’t even get out of the way. Honest if it had been my first time in Venice, that vap ride would have put me off Venice forever.

Posted by
7209 posts

If you're "all about the easiest way" then a water taxi is a no-brainer. Motoscafi Water Taxis have a set price for up to 4 people and their luggages which is 87 Euros from the train station to a hotel on Venice Island (or as close as they can get to it). For each additional person you'll pay 10 euros. We've reserved with Motoscafivenezia several times and have been happy with them. But you certainly don't need to reserve; you can show up and DEFINITELY ask how much BEFORE you load into the boat. Do not pay until you are delivered to your agreed upon destination. We always tip a bit, but our faithful hotel in Venice (Saturnia & International) was appalled to hear that we tipped.

Posted by
65 posts

Agree with the water taxi. Great way to see a bit of the city upon arrival as well. Not the cheapest, but well worth it. Our hotel was on the grand canal and had a little dock that our taxi delivered us to. We only had to pull our bags about 15 feet.

Posted by
6498 posts

Note that the original post was from January and so were all the responses, until one (now removed) post was reported as spam this past week. I don't know whether the OP has made it to Venice yet, but I hope the water taxi went, or will go, well.