Please sign in to post.

Transfers in Rome

4 of us are arriving at Rome airport on 25 December - want to get to Florence that day.
Suggestions please

Posted by
4152 posts

If it's running you can take the express train to the Rome termini station and then take the high speed train to Florence. If you book the trip from the termini to Florence ahead of time you can get the mini fares which can be up to 60% off but you do run the risk of the plane being late and the tickets becoming worthless. If you wish a private company to take you you can contact romecabs.com. I know they do day tours to Florence so you can ask them about transfers. Donna

Posted by
23291 posts

The train runs on Christmas day because the airplanes are flying. With four people and limited luggage you could take a taxi at a fixed rate of 40E to the train station and then a train to Florence. That would be about 16E cheaper than the train. I would not purchase tickets until you are there since prepurchased, discount tickets are worthless if you miss your train. Trains will running.

Posted by
2207 posts

Phyllis, As Frank says, the trains will be running. Yet they will run on a limited, holiday schedule. Fortunately, Florence is probably one of the more-traveled routes so, although impacted, you will be able to get there. On Christmas Day, everything is closed so don't expect too much once you get to Florence. Since Christmas is on a Sunday, the following day, Monday most State-run museums (like the Uffizi and the Academia Galleria) will also be closed. I'd also agree with Frank and Donna and NOT buy tickets in advance. Too many variables in air-travel and even more on a holiday. Probably a smaller "holiday" staff will be working the Trenitalia counters, so your best bet might be to purchase your train tickets through a kiosk. For help on that process, you might read this article: Buying Train Tickets at a Kiosk. Good luck on your trip!