Please sign in to post.

Trains in Italy

We have decided to take the train from around Siena to Rome. Any input on whether it is worthwhile to pay extra and take the newest ES train or just go with the standard train? Do you recommend first class?

Posted by
440 posts

Sonia, I found that the bus was a more direct option - no changes.

Posted by
6898 posts

The bus is a good choice. However, if you are evaluating the trip by train, it's a 3.0hr-3.5hr journey with a train change in Chiusi. Looking at the schedule, I see no Eurostars on any part of the run. The IC and ICPlus are the best classes of train that I see. Half the legs in the journey will be on R trains which are the locals that stop at every stop. For this journey, 1st class will only get you a bit more leg and arm room. I suggest that 2nd class will be just fine.

CLICK HERE to see a typical train schedule.

Posted by
1127 posts

The bus arrives/departs Rome from Tibertina, not the main station in the city center which is Termini. You can reach Tibertina via the metro. The bus station is Siena is in the center of the city.

If you take the train to/from Siena you will to take a bus or taxi to reach station but will arrive in center of Rome at Termini Station.