Please sign in to post.

trains in Italy

My husband, a friend and I want to take the train from Venice to Pisa where we are meeting a friend. I'm confused by the different types of trains. We want to use the station, Venezia S Lucia, which is close to our hotel and I'm reading about the Eurostar trains and the Frecciargento on the Trenitalia website. Should we book online ahead of time or wait until we're there? Thanks for advice!

Posted by
4407 posts

Well, the trains 'are' ES, but the lines (particular routes) are given names like 'Frecciargento' - kind of like the Amtrak 'Sunset Limited' or the 'City of New Orleans'. It's not either a 'Frecciargento' OR an ES train - if that makes any sense. It's an ES 'Frecciargento' train... Depending on when you're traveling, you could save a bundle by purchasing ahead of time online...

Posted by
14 posts

And we do that on www.Trenitalia.it? Do we actually print out a ticket and then need to validate it before we get on the train in Venice? Is that how it works? I'm a real rookie, here! Thanks for your help.

Posted by
23268 posts

You ONLY validate open or non-specific tickets. And generally that only applies to regional trains. IF a train requires a reservation == most of the faster trains do - then that ticket is only validate for that train at that time and is no good after so you. You can wait until your arrival but you might miss some available discounts. Advance purchases will lock you into a schedule and may be non or limited refund options.

Posted by
6898 posts

In general, your first train out of Venice to Pisa will most likely be a high-speed Eurostar of some type (yes you will be on more than one train for this journey). Generally, its the Eurostar Alto Velocita (ESAV on the train type). However, in the train number column on the same line, Trenitalia calls it the Frecciargento. Go figure. Anyway, it's a really nice high speed. You will most likely change trains at Florence to a Regionale or a Regionale Veloce train to Pisa. Here's a link to a sample train schedule. http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/nppPriceTravelSolutions.do?car=0&stazin=venice&stazout=pisa&datag=04&datam=05&dataa=2011&timsh=06&stazin_r=Staz_DA&stazout_r=Staz_A&timsm=07&timsm_r=07&lang=en&nreq=5&channel=tcom&npag=1&lang_r=en&nreq_r=5&channel_r=tcom&npag_r=1&x=25&y=10

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you so much for everyone's help! We are now booked...online, email confirmation, from Venice to Florence....but wouldn't let me book from Florence to Pisa. I kept getting an error message. I'm going to try again later. I tried to do it all as one trip, but then they wouldn't e-mail me the confirmation.....said I had to use a 'ticket machine" when I got there. Anyway, feel good that I have the longer trip done with receipt and # in hand....Thanks again!

Posted by
32752 posts

As Larry said just recently, Firenze to Pisa is a Regionale or Regionale Velocita which neither offers nor accepts pre booking. You will have to get a ticket from a machine there.

Posted by
14 posts

I see....I guess we will be able to figure that out.....I'm really excited, my first trip to Italy!

Posted by
8700 posts

You can buy your Florence-Pisa ticket in Venice.