Please sign in to post.

Trains from Florence to Venice

All the trains returning from Venice to Florence on May 25 are sold out. I'm wondering if they still hold back a few to purchase while you are in Italy or are they all really sold out?

Posted by
25 posts

That's so strange, I've checked several times for May 25, 26 and 27. I can get there but the later trains coming back all show a shopping cart with a line through it. Italo still has seats on the 27th but at 5:55 and the 27th was my last choice.

Posted by
23177 posts

When, exactly, do you want to travel?

Posted by
25 posts

I wanted to go from Florence to Venice on either May 25, 26 or 27. I can get an 8:30 AM out in the morning but wanted to head back at least after 5. A cart with a line through it means sold out right?

Posted by
16893 posts

It would mean not for sale online for some reason, but not necessarily sold out. If you entered this as a roundtrip, try booking two one-ways, instead. There is no roundtrip discount.

Posted by
922 posts

A cart with a line through it means it's a regional train and tickets are not on sale yet. I just looked and it shows the 1825 and 1925 Frecciargento trains available for sale.

Posted by
25 posts

Yes, I tried one way and I can get that. Very strange. I can only get 7:30 PM they don't show the later ones like they did before. So they still may put more on sale and I can wait?

Posted by
32171 posts

janet,

I doubt that the trains are (or will be) sold out. In checking the Trenitalia website for 27 May, I see departures from Venezia S. Lucia to Firenze SM Novella at 18:25 and 19:25. Fares indicated for both are €29 PP.

In looking at other departures, you'll note that those with a cross through the shopping cart are trains with one change, with the first leg being via Urbano or Regionale. The tickets for the regional portion of those trips will be easier purchased locally.

If you're going to be in Venice for a few days, the simplest and easiest solution would be to just buy the tickets for your outgoing journey a day or so before you'll be travelling, either at the station or at one of the local travel agents in Venice (details in the guidebook).

Posted by
23177 posts

What web/search site are you using? Some of this is not making sense. A slash only means it is not available for purchase on the web site.

Posted by
25 posts

I think I'll do that Ken, purchase them there. Because when I go on line there is a discount for RT vs. one way. I can go out RT at 8:30 AM for 69euro but one way at that time is 90 euro. I don't see 29 euro anywhere. I must have over paid for all my tickets in Italy.

Posted by
11613 posts

Different routes have different discount prices, If you bought tickets from Trenitalia, you paid for one of the following: super-economy (sell out fast), economy (fewer restrictions), and base fare (full price, most flexibility). Some routes have more choices available, depending on departure time (very early or late departures usually have the best discounts). You are not really overpaying unless your ticket costs more than the base fare (probably illegal).

In my experience, they don't "hold back" tickets.

Posted by
23177 posts

There are three levels of ticket pricing. Super economy, Economy, and Base. SE and E are restricted and the numbers vary by time and train or train route. Base is full fare or standard fare. The SE and E will often sell out prior to departure.

Posted by
25 posts

Dairoalb said they don't sell out in May. Ken said he doubted they were sold out but you think they could be? Stephen said, A cart with a line through it means it's a regional train and tickets are not on sale yet. Plus, other people are finding completely different pricing then me. I'm more confused now. I guess I'll just go to the site and get what ever I can get with 2 one ways?

Posted by
32171 posts

janet,

I'm also using the Trenitalia webite and just did another search using the date of 27 May, beginning at 18:00. The same solutions were listed from Venezia S. Lucia to Firenze S.M. Novella. The €29 price I mentioned was for a Super Economy seat in FIRST CLASS on FrecciaArgento 9451 departing at 18:25 OR Economy in SECOND CLASS on FrecciaArgento 9455 departing at 19:25.

If you want to buy tickets now, you might try www.italiarail.com as their website is reportedly easier to use. Get on it quickly as you'll pay more if you wait too long.

Posted by
25 posts

Ok, got the tickets. Thanks for your help. I ended up getting a one way with Italo from Florence to Venice for 25 euro because trenitalia does charge more for a one way vs. a round trip. Got my return on Trenitalia for 29 euro finally found it, no first class like you saw but doesn't matter. Don't tell people to go to www.italiarail.com, they are much more expensive. I still don't get the cart with the line through it, they aren't on sale yet but do you wait?

Anyway, thanks for your help and I'm all set! Love this forum, so helpful.