Please sign in to post.

Trains

Could you help us with a train schedule from Tarvisio to Mestre. On a Sunday. We are in Slovenia ending at Kranjska Gora. We know we need to take a bus to the train station in Italy but being we have to travel on a Sunday we know travel options are limited. Trying to figure out train schedules in Italian is hard!! Is there a train map and schedule we can have mailed to us to study?
Thanks
Sharon

Posted by
5687 posts

I use the Trenitalia website for much of my train planning (though they don't include their rival Italo, who runs some competing trains). If you have a smart phone,, you can also install the Trenit app to check train schedules very easily. This app is very handy. There's a Trenitalia app too. Trenitalia's website has an English option - just choose the British flag.

You can also try the Trainline.com website (charges a small service fee if you buy tickets through them). But you can type in city names in English there.

Posted by
16893 posts

Trenitalia actually runs a few buses per day to connect with their trains, so those are reflected in online train schedules without any separate search.

Posted by
20086 posts

Is your problem that one of the trains is a Regionale? They are not on the schedule yet if you are traveling after June 8. In that case, look at a schedule on next Sunday. It probably will not change and you can check back after June 8 and buy tickets.

Posted by
32206 posts

huddd,

As Laura mentioned, the Trenitalia website shows a bus / train connection from Tarvisio Boscoverde to Venezia Mestre via Udine. Note that there are two rail stations in Tarvisio. The travel time will be 3 - 4 hours.

There appears to be at least six trips on Sundays, with the first one departing at 10:22 and the last at 20:05. Fares are in the range of €21 PP for the entire trip. I've never been to Tarvisio, but there should be a Kiosk as well as a staffed ticket office to buy tickets.

The trip from Kranjska Gora to Tarvisio looks fairly short, about a 20 minute drive. In that situation I'd probably just take a Taxi.

Are you continuing on to other parts of Italy when you arrive in Mestre?

Posted by
27111 posts

Rome2Rio's good about showing what might be possible (though there are sometimes options it doesn't find), but you cannot trust its travel times, frequencies or fares. Always drill down to find the name of the company operating each transportation leg and go to its website for accurate information.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you ALL of you for your reply. What a great source for information!! We are on a 8 day bike tour of Slovenia northern towns to start our trip. Our trip into Italy unfortunately, will be very quick! That is why we want to nail down our travel once we leave Kranjska Gora. We have 2 days in Venice, 2 days in Florence and 2 days in Rome. Makes me tired thinking about how much we want to see and the time we have. BUT you do what you have to right. We (thanks to this sight) have found a tour in Florence and Rome, "walks of Italy." Venice? Any suggestions there? Ride the ferry around or try and book a tour? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Sharon