Please sign in to post.

Trains!

Hello, My family ( husband, 14 yr old and myself) are landing at Malpensa at the beginning of July our flight is late in so we have got a B and B about 20 mins outside ( towards Milan) of the airport for the night. The next day we are planning to take the train to Bolzano / Bozen ( which we are exploring this area ) , what I would like to ask is which website is best to obtain our tickets from? Is it best to get two singles rather than a return ( our return route would be the same - ten days later) we are staying at the same B and B on our way back) . We don't want to be tied down by times of trains ( the days we are travelling won't be changed) can we obtain a ' all day travel' train ticket? Which would be our best option going from Malpensa or travelling to Milan Central to get the train from? Thank you in anticipation.

Posted by
3112 posts

There are no "all day travel" train tickets for your itinerary unless you buy a rail pass, and Italian rail passes are almost always more expensive than point-to-point tickets. Plus, with a pass, you would have the added expense and inconvenience of needing to purchase reservations for some of the trains you will take. Because you want flexibilty on the times you will travel, your best option is to buy tickets in Italy on your travel days. Prepurchasing discounted tickets makes little sense due to your desire for flexibility in travel times. You can check schedules on the Trenitalia website. There are also Italo high-speed trains, but only on the Milano Centrale to Verona leg of your trip.

Posted by
20175 posts

You could travel on all regional trains from Bolzano to Milano Centrale in 4 hours. trains from Bolzano at 12:31, 14:31, 16:31, and 18:31 according to the current schedule. There is a schedule change on June 10, so check again on that date. These are always the same price and unreserved. Its is 45.90 EUR for 2 right now.

What town is your B&B located? If you can take a train to close by your B&B not going to the airport, that will save a lot of money as there is a big surcharge for the Malpensa Express trains.

Posted by
15204 posts

Even if your flight arrives late, you should take the Malpensa Express train into Milan Centrale and stay overnight at a hotel near Milan Centrale station. The train to Centrale take about 50 minutes and trains run till very late night. Then, the next morning, walk to the Milan Central station, purchase the tickets to Bolzano, and go. You will need to change trains at Verona.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you to you all for your informative replays. Sue , the B and B we are staying in is in Cardono al Campo I am not so sure this has a train station it is only ten mins from the Airport, the B and B have a shuttle service we can use to get us to and from the Airport. Thank you for explaining that there are no 'all day tickets' I take it if you buy a ticket for a certain train time you have to go on that train you can't get another train on the same ticket say an hour later? On the 'slow trains ' how long does it take realistically from Verona to Bolzano/ Bozen please? Thank you .

Posted by
16893 posts

if you buy a ticket for a certain train time you have to go on that train you can't get another train on the same ticket say an hour later?

For most medium-speed and faster trains, yes that is correct. The ticket specifies one departure time, train number, car number, and seat assignment and can't be used on a different train. Ticket bought in the station to cover the "slowest" Regional and Interregional allow a 4-hour window (or less, depending on distance) to complete the whole journey, but don't otherwise limit you to one departure.

On the 'slow trains ' how long does it take realistically from Verona to Bolzano/ Bozen please?

Some regional trains on this route only take 1 h 40 min (10 minutes longer than the reserved trains), but some take 2 h 13 min.

Posted by
20175 posts

Cardano al Campo is actually closer to Gallarate station than the airport. Going to Bolzano, there is a Regionale connection at 9 past the hour all day. Everything has a connection at Pioltello (other side of Milan) and Verona Porta Nuova. Takes anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 1/4 hours. Cost is 50.90 EUR for 2 anytime, you buy tickets at Gallarate station vending machine. That way you can travel anytime you want, both to and from. Return connections are every 2 hours in the afternoon at 31 past the hour.

You can pay a lot more and use fast trains and maybe shave an hour off the travel time. still have to make 2 changes along the way.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you very much Sam and Laura for your very informative replays it is greatly appreciated , Thank you Laura for explaining about the tickets , I am hoping that the trains will depart around the same even on a Sunday? We are hoping to travel to Bolzano on the Sunday and we travel back late afternoon on a Friday. We are quite happy to take the regional trains as we have made it that we don't have to rush so can make the most of the journey.

Posted by
15204 posts

I suggested to stay in Milan near the station so you save a couple of hours the next morning when you go to Bolzano. Cardano is near the airport but the train stations are only at the airport or at Gallarate (Cardano is half way between the two) so you need a ride back to where you started the day before or go to Gallarate (which is not much of a gain in time). I usually stay in Cardano also when I use Malpensa.