Please sign in to post.

trains

My wife and I plan on taking the train from Verona to Levanto in about 2 weeks. I am dropping off my rental car at 12, and then wanting to catch the train at around 14 hour. Should I reserve tickets now, or get them when I get to the train station. I am afraid it will be too confusing at the train station trying to buy the correct ticket, so I thought maybe doing it online would be easier.

Posted by
6916 posts

Don't be afraid of confusion, ticket machines aren't confusing and have English.
But... It's cheaper to buy online ahead of time for fast train journeys, so I'd do so anyway.
You can buy on Trenitalia, Loco2, Trainline. The latter two are reputable agencies with user-friendly apps or websites.

Posted by
2831 posts

If you have a smart phone consider downloading the trenitalia app which takes all of the hassle out of searching timetables and prices as well as purchasing the tickets. Your electronic ticket(s) will be sent to you as an attachment to a confirmatory email (ie your receipt) you'll receive once you complete the purchase - couldn't be much easier.
Appears that the journey from Verona to Levanto is via Frecce and Intercity trains, which means that you will indeed save money by booking in advance.

Posted by
15591 posts

Besides saving money, lines for agents can be long, even if there is a dedicated line for same day tickets. Lines can be long at machines too, often because people are checking schedules and deciding which train to take 3 days from now, and sometimes because tourists can't follow directions. Not all machines take cash and those that don't may not like your US credit card.