Please sign in to post.

Trains 101

Need help with Italian train basics (we do have a rail pass - don't know if I'd do that again in the future, but for now it is what it is) - -Does Rail Pass cover Regionale trains? -no reservations are needed for Regionale trains, correct? -is it only for Regionale trains that we need to validate ticket in yellow machine before boarding? (I'm assuming the reservations on the IC & High-speed trains would count as validation)
-What is the difference between Regionale vs Regionale Veloc? Also, is there a main station in Genoa?

Posted by
32821 posts

Does Rail Pass cover Regionale trains? yup no reservations are needed for Regionale trains, correct? yup. reservations aren't even an option is it only for Regionale trains that we need to validate ticket in yellow machine before boarding? nope. There are other subnames. If it is an open ticket it needs validation. If it has a definate time and date printed on the ticket and can't be used on another it doesn't. (I'm assuming the reservations on the IC & High-speed trains would count as validation) yup What is the difference between Regionale vs Regionale Veloc? no knowledge is there a main station in Genoa? yup

Posted by
32213 posts

Anne, Regarding the different types of trains in Italy, you may find it helpful to read the description on This Excellent Website. Happy travels!

Posted by
11294 posts

I haven't been to Genoa, so I only know what I've read, but my guidebooks say that Genoa has two main stations, on opposite sides of the center - Stazione Brignole on the east, and Statione Principe on the west. Apparently, while some trains go to both, most go only to one or the other. If that's the case, taking a train to Genoa is no problem - you just get off at the one your train goes to. But leaving Genoa, you will need to know which station to go to, so check carefully. Sidebar: I remember cautioning my niece when she went to Paris that you can't just tell a cab driver "take me to the station" - in any language - because Paris had 7 train stations, and at least 4 could be considered "main" ones. Without further information, they wouldn't know which one is needed.

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks for the great advice! That website is extremely helpful (especially for visual learners such as myself).

Posted by
719 posts

What is the difference between Regionale vs Regionale Veloc? Speed. Veloc = Fast
Can be upwards of twice as fast as the Regionales, and is designated by RV on the boards. Not camping, by the way.