Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

My husband I and are planning a trip to Austria, Italy and Switzerland this August. The majority of our time will be spent in Italy. We plan on renting a car for 3 or 4 days to get us around part of Tuscany, the rest of our trip our transportation will be by train. We are looking for some help deciding how to go about booking our train tickets. Most postings that I have read on here say what a pain the Trenitalia website is. Because we will be traveling in August I am concerned about trains being booked. The train trips we will be making are Salzburg to Bolzano (Italy), Bolzano to Venice, Venice to Cortona and Monterosso to Lugano (Switzerland). We may be able to take advantage of using some travel points to pay for tickets if we are able to book ahead of time. Any suggestions on which website we can book through or whether this is a good idea? Thanks!

Posted by
23268 posts

I answered your question earlier.

Posted by
440 posts

I find the trenitalia site quite easy with only tourist level Italian language, but there is an in-English button to click, as I found out later. You will be provided with a sort of e-ticket. You choose you seat - window, aisle etc. There is a 5% discount for buying on-line. What you need to do is price each leg of your tour, then compare that against a rail pass.