Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

We're planning a trip to Italy this May/June and I wanted to ask if anyone has experience purchasing train tickets in advance online? I would like to do this to save money and for the convenience of doing it ahead of time, but wanted to make sure tickets are honored and there is no problem doing it in advance. I have checked the Trenitalia website and it seems straightforward. Thank you!

Posted by
23296 posts

There is no problem with tickets being honor if you have the correct paperwork. You print your tickets at home. And you do realize that the Super Econ and Econ purchased on-line come with heavy restrictions as to changes and refunds -- mostly none. Do not purchase Regional train tickets on line -- no advantage or discounts. Purchase after you arrive.

Posted by
7209 posts

Many many people purchase their Italian Train Tickets as early as possible from Trenitalia. The cost savings can be huge if you're planning on several trips or have several people in your group. trenitalia.com has had issues in the past with American Credit Cards, but 4 or 5 years ago I started using my Capital One without problems...and I've purchased many tickets. This year my Capital One was rejected over and over, and I finally had to resort to my American Express which had no problems. So if at first you run into difficulty don't give up...try a different browser or a different card.

Posted by
16338 posts

Absolutely no problem. Easy to buy ( with AmEx) and easy to use.

Posted by
303 posts

At the end of this month we are making our 2nd trip to Italy, Each time we travel on trains. I have made reservations online at Trainline.eu for the Frecciarossa (fast train) from Venice to Milan. Also made online reservations for an Intercity train from Milan and to Milan. The only train we will take that we won't purchase ahead online is a regional train from Milan to Varenna. We have our seat reservations on the trains as well. You receive lots of information from train line, but you need to clink a link that takes you to the actual ticket with the code that the conductor will scan on the train. You do not have to worry about validating these online tickets at the station. I have never used Trenitalia. I always use trainline.eu. There is no service charge added, and I understand this site more readily. Enjoy Italy! It is a beautiful, friendly country.

Posted by
3812 posts

I always use trainline.eu

Let's hope that this re-seller adheres to the official transfer times between trains set up by trenitalia for each station. Otherwise do not expect Trenitalia to protect you.

Do not purchase regional train tickets online

There is one advantage in buying tickets on-line. Regionale trains locally purchased (at the counter, at ticket machines, travel agencies and tobacconist shops) MUST be time-stamped before getting on.

Posted by
1046 posts

The trick with pre-purchase is being able to stick to a schedule. If you include the travel time in your planning it gets a bit easier. For example: I KNOW I want to be in Rome for dinner and I know I want a leisurely farewell to Venice in the morning. So, I book my train (and seat) for the price I want to pay for the train at about 1:30. I win at both ends! To get to Venice from Assisi with a lunch break and some sightseeing in Florence, I leave Assisi at 6:00am. I'm in Florence a little after 8:00 and have plenty of time. It's only another 2 hours to Venice. A nap on the train helps! Have done this route for the past 13 years at least - not saying this kind of schedule works for everybody but it feels like I get something of Florence added to my trip. I'll stay in Florence next time, like I did last time. Oh yes, euro savings? It can mean an extra nice dinner or a really nice new leather coat!

Posted by
1625 posts

Hi Lisa- Yes you purchase online, print with the bar code and show up at the train station. There will be a big reader board that will list which BIN (track) your train will be on, you start walking toward your BIN. Find your Car # and then once in the car, your seat. After the train is on its way someone will come around and scan your tickets. When booking make sure you know the Italian name of the train station you want to depart from and arrive to. If you look on Trenetalia and type in Rome you do not get Rome, you need to type in ROMA but then MANY options come up. You probably want Roma Termini. You will need to know the name of the train station you want in each city you want to go to, which is pretty easy to find on the internet.

Posted by
16 posts

Just used Trainitalia' booked passage from Rome to Naples for our party of 4.

Cheaper than Trenitalia and got a free upgrade and reserved seats in Economy plus. And refunded booking fee.

Printed ticket at home, no issues using it.