Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Italy

How do i reserve seats using a Global Eurorail pass for 5 people going from Milan to Venice and back? Our trip to will start around 30 June. We plan on going to Venice several days later.

Posted by
16893 posts

Let me count the ways:
1) at a train station or travel agency (that sells train tickets) in Italy; 2) on our web site, either at the same time that you order the railpass or later, since some reservations are now print-at-home e-tickets; or 3) on www.trenitalia.com, by starting to buy a ticket, then choosing "other offers," continue, then choosing the rate for "Global Pass," which is 10 euros/$15.

Posted by
7569 posts

You will likely get questions asking if you really need a global pass, I can only assume that this is the first leg of extensive travel throughout Europe and not just Italy.

Beyond that, this website does have extensive information on passes, this specific page: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/italy-rail-passes talks directly to Italy. The short of it is that you would need to do it through an agent ahead of time, or at a station when there. I suggest that when you arrive in Milan, make the reservations. Trains rarely sell out, at worst, you may not be able to get 5 seats together, but even that is unlikely

Posted by
11613 posts

The Trenitalia site now gives you the choice of choosing your seats or having them assigned (there's a seating chart).