Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

Hello. I have asked train questions before (and so many helpful people gave great advice!), so I hope I don't offend by asking some more. The train situation gives me anxiety. My daughter and I head to Italy in June. We are traveling from Rome to Assisi to Florence to Venice. After reading a lot of advice, I will be booking tickets on the Trenitalia site. June 12th is the day we plan to go from Rome to Assisi. I have two questions/concerns. First, doesn't look like they have the full schedule for that day released yet. Should I be worried? Also, when I go to select an Assisi station, it gives me the options of Assisi, Assisi CENTRO, and Assisi Piazza Unita' D'Italia. Which one would I choose? I understand that the train station and the town are a good distance from each other.

Thanks in advance!
B

Posted by
20170 posts

Assisi is the train station, which as you say, is a ways from the actual town. Assisi Centro and Assisi Piazzza Unita D'Italia are connected to Assisi station by the C20 bus. This is a regional train that does not need to be booked in advance.

Posted by
6108 posts

Schedule will be loaded June 11

You can check schedule now- pick a date in May using same day of week
Schedules don’t change much if at all

If you book to Centro or Piazza Unita that will include your bus ride up to town so you might want to check which stop is closer to your lodging

Trenitalia has a very easy to use app

Posted by
39 posts

So there won't be an updated schedule for the trains until June 11th? As of now, there is only 1 route that I see and it is later in the evening than I would want.

Posted by
6108 posts

Bridget,

You can safely assume that the schedule on Monday June 12 will be same as any Monday from now til then.
Look at Monday June 5- there are about a dozen trains, every 1.5 hr or so.
It's a regional train so no need to buy in advance, they can't sell out and price is always the same.

You can purchase on the app or online as soon as that date shows up, or at the station that day (validate).

Posted by
20170 posts

Probably more like early June when the schedule gets released for regional trains. Makes no difference, because regional trains never sell out. If you are worried about getting a seat, just show as soon as they announce the platform and you will be one of the first to board and grab a choice seat. The train originates at Rome Termini. The schedule will probably not change very much, it at all.

Posted by
513 posts

A note about the location of the Assisi train at Roma Termini: it normally leaves from 1 est or 2 est. Don’t confuse this with track 1 or 2. (Follow the signs.) Give yourself time to walk out to these tracks as they are not close to the tracks in the middle of the station. Walk along the left side of the main tracks (as you’re facing the tracks). I’ve misjudged the distance a few times. I’m a fast walker and it takes me about 5 minutes to reach the train. As mentioned above, there are usually plenty of seats. Remember to validate your paper ticket if that’s what you’re using.

Posted by
27175 posts

But check every screen you pass to be sure the track for the train hasn't changed. That happened to me once in Italy, and I had an equally long walk back to the correct track once I realized my train wasn't departing from the originally-listed location. I barely made the train.

Posted by
3124 posts

I second to keep checking every screen.
I do this in big airports too.
When you get to your train, double check it’s the right one by asking any uniformed attendant right there, if you see one.
Nearly all trains have digital screens on board at the end of carriages so you can do another check.