Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

Travelling in Oct. with my husband. Any advice as to 1st or 2nd class? Rick advises leisurly time in bar car but should we be leaving luggage alone? (longest trip will be 4-5 hrs, other 2 trips about 1-2).

Posted by
524 posts

Debbie There are many factors to consider in deciding whether to take 1st or 2nd seats. Here are the ones I use when I choose First Class: Length of Trip: over 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Cost: If there is only a little difference between 1st & 2nd Class. Mini fares: Trenitalia (the Italian Rail Site) offers Mini Fares that can be purchased in advance. These are No Refund, Limited Change tickets but a great value. Vacation: August is Italy's tradition vacation time with many Italians taking off 3 - 4 weeks. Assumption Day is August 15. Try to check to see if some days are more heavily travelled than others. Ask your hotel. Weekends: Friday or Sunday night trains may be busier because of Italians taking long weekends. Larger or Taller: This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Give yourself a break and get First Class. Remember all of us are squished in Coach when we fly to Italy from afar. AC: In hot weather, the air conditioning works much better in First Class because the number of people is fewer.
NOTE: First Class has assigned seats but second class does not. And the trains are not restricted to the number of seats so aisles and ends of the cars can be packed. Noise, personal space, and possibly you standing are problems! Use this and other posters info to decide. Have a great time in Italy! Bobbie

Posted by
15591 posts

I use a bike lock to secure my suitcase to the luggage rack. I had reserved seats on trains in 2nd class. I think it's just the regional trains that don't have reserved seating. If you are traveling during commute times in the early evening, the trains are more likely to be crowded. If you get reserved seats, you'll be fine.

Posted by
4152 posts

There really is not much difference between 1rst and 2nd class. I would not waste the money. I also, would not leave my bags unattended. Either go one at a time to the bar car or take your bags with you. If you have really large bags that need to be stored at the end of the carriage be sure to lock them to the framework and lock them so no one can get inside. Be sure to unlock them and be ready to depart a few minutes before pulling into your stations., Donna

Posted by
3580 posts

I have been on very crowded trains in Italy---more people than seats in second class. First class is not so crowded. Once, the conductor came around and made people leave (the first-class car) who did not have a first-class ticket or reservation. There are times and routes that get busy and unlimited numbers of people are allowed on the trains. If you have a first class ticket and reservation, you will be guaranteed a seat and probably less crowding. I seldom visit the bar car, so keep my small luggage near me and withing eyesight. If I go to the toilet, I take my daybag with me. Most problems arise when train is stopped. Luggage at the ends of cars are most vulnerable to theft, so the advice to fasten it to the rack is good. I usually travel with the zippers on my suitcase locked with a small padlock.

Posted by
7737 posts

Ron in Rome addresses this directly: 1st versus 2nd class on Italian trains. Happy travels.

Posted by
117 posts

We just got back from 3+ weeks in Italy and we took the trains exclusively. We found there to be a big difference between 1st and 2nd class. The seats are wider in 1st class (i.e. more elbow room) and there's fewer seats per "row" (3 in 1st class instead of 4 in 2nd class). We are both pretty slender people and we still found 2nd class a bit too cramped. In first class you will always have room overhead to store your bags - not the case with 2nd class. For trips over an hour, I would definately take 1st class. it's worth the extra cost. Try to book a mini fare, if there are any left (doubtful).

Posted by
230 posts

We traveled from Rome to Florence and back 2nd class - we got a mini and assigned (comfortable) seating by booking in advance using the website. 2nd class was absolutely fine for the length of the trip. Altho we didn't have luggage, I noticed quite a few ppl traveling with small suitcases in our coach. I would not leave luggage unattended. My mother had a bag stolen that way. If you are getting a mini on the website, a couple things to watch out for - be absolutely sure your travel details are correct before submitting your request. If you cancel, you get only half your $$ back, no exceptions. A mini cannot be changed if your travel plans change.

Posted by
12 posts

We just returned from a month in Paris and Italy. We traveled 3 times by train: from Venice to Florence, Florence to Naples, and Naples to Rome by 2nd class. We were very comfortable in the seats. In fact, we felt more cramped in economy coming home on Lufthansa. We didn't leave our luggage at any time, so I can't address that issue. The area at the end of the car, where you could not see your luggage, filled up very quickly and on our trains, only held maybe 8 or so bags. We had no problem putting a 24 inch and a 25 inch suitcase on the overhead rack above our seats. The last time we were able to slide each suitcase right behind our seats. Everyone in our car found room for their luggage. I was also pleasantly surprised - not many steps to maneuver in the train stations, only the 3-4 to get onto the train, and the steps in front of the station in Venice, which were manageable. Have fun!

Posted by
4152 posts

It is not always the case that you'll have over head room in the bin in first class. On some trains even first class fills up and there is no space overhead. I've always found not much difference between first and second class and the fact that they give you a drink does not make up for the difference in price. The only time I will book first class is if the fare is close to 2nd class and the trip is over 3.5 hours. Usually midway during the trip the carriage clears out with people getting off and we end up having more room to spread out. If you're taking short trips I would suggest saving your money and using it for a nice dinner. Donna

Posted by
203 posts

I just returned from Italy and took 5 trains, all in first class and I don't regret spending a little more. I did get mini fare rates for every ticket but Italy was busy and the trains were busy, too. The 1st class carriages were less full and definitely less noisy than 2nd class. It really comes down to personal preference and your own travel style.

Posted by
35 posts

Debbie, We just got back from Italy and used 2nd class every time. I just could not justify the extra cost just for a free drink and a newspaper! Which is pretty much all you get extra, except for a little more room, but I felt the 2nd class cars were way more comfortable than an airplane for instance. It was great. See the seat61 website which shows pictures of the differences.