Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

My wife and I are going to Italy in May and were curious what is the best train connection to make from Milan to Rome. Are there faster trains that don't make many stops? I realize that I cannot purchase any yet as the website does not go out that far. However, do I need to get tickets before we leave or can I wait until we get to the train station to purchase out tickets? I have read that we need to get our tickets from kiosks in the train station. Will we need cash or can we use a debit card for this purchase? Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Posted by
1449 posts

you can use cash and credit cards, not sure about debit cards. You don't have to use the kiosk, you can wait in a long line and perhaps end up with a teller who doesn't speak english, but I'd recommend the kiosk.

If you want to search for trip times just put in a day next week matching the day of the week you're travelling and see what it shows.

You can purchase the tix at the station just before you travel, but you can get a 20% discount (Amica fare) if you buy by midnight the day before departure.

Posted by
805 posts

I'm pretty sure the Eurostar Italia runs from Milan to Rome and that would be the fastest route. Be aware that the Eurostar requires reservations, although since trains rarely sell out except in really high season you can just book at the station if you wish. However, if you can plan ahead you may be able to save money by buying tickets online. The Italian rail system accepts all forms of payment, cash, debit or credit cards.

Posted by
805 posts

Brief update.

I just checked the Trenitalia website and the Eurostar does indeed make the run from Milan to Rome in 4.5 hours for 45 euros second and 65 euros first class.

The Trenitalia English language website is http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Posted by
6898 posts

There are several train runs from Milan to Rome each day. As David has mentioned, it's a 4.5hr journey. No train changes on most runs but they will stop at Bologna and Florence on the way to Rome. The 45Euro fare mentioned by David is the 20% discount Amica fare which you must buy no later than the day before travel. Standard fare is 56.10Euro.

CLICK HERE to see what the train schedule looks like.

Posted by
143 posts

The self-service kiosks are very easy to use - just select the English language option. The accept debit cards as well as credit cards (just be sure your bank knows you'll be traveling).

Posted by
805 posts

I would emphasize calling your bank before you leave. Having to call them last summer AFTER I got to Italy to get them to allow me to use my ATM card was not an experience I would recommend.

Posted by
49 posts

Gary,

We took the Eurostar from Milan to Rome this past Christmas Eve. We bought the tickets from an agent and all seat reservations were sold out. My wife was able to find a seat for someone who did not show and I stood in the end of the car for most of the trip. It wasn't the best, but we got there. If I had to do it again, I would try and get the seat reservation ahead of time if it were possible. If you want some piece of mind, you can set up an account on Trenitalia. While I have never got the ticket purchase to work correctly, you can reserve seats about 24 hours in advance (and maybe get the Amica fare) where you pick up the ticket at the automated kiosk using your reservation number. You can then purchase it on your credit card. If you use a Capital One credit card, there are no fees and you get a pretty decent conversion rate. You may want to avoid buying all of your tickets in one day at a kiosk as the multiple transactions can cause a fraud alert on your card.