Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

My husband and I will be in Italy for about a month. We plan on at least 2 train trips, one from Florence to Terontola and one from Terontola to Rome. We are considering not getting a car in Florence and taking our day trips by train to Siena, etc. What type would you recommend? I'm thinking a Flexpass 1st or 2nd class. Would you please confirm that I'm on the right track. Marianne

Posted by
6898 posts

Can we assume that you are arriving in Italy at the Florence airport and departing Italy from the airport in Rome? If not, please advise on other train travel while in Italy. If what you list is all of the Italian train travel you will be doing, you really don't have enough train travel to justify the expense of a railpass. For the most part, you will be on very inexpensive Regionale trains for most of your train travel. The train journey from Florence to Terontola-Cortona takes 90 minutes. Fare is 9.60Euro 2nd Class. Almost al trains on this run are Regionale trains. If you are going to Cortona, you will be on a bus from the train station. I don't think the bus will accept the railpass. For the train journey to Rome-Termini from the Terontola-Cortona station, it takes 2hr08min on the Regionale train. Fare is 10.70Euro 2nd Class. There are a couple of faster Intercity train runs during the day that will cut 30 minutes off of the journey time. The fare on the Intercity is 19Euro. If you intend to take the Leonardo Express to the Rome-FCO airport, the cost is 14Euro. 1st class on a Regionale train won't really buy you anything. A bit more arm and leg room and that's it. 2nd class is fine.

Posted by
1201 posts

Most people find that using regular point to point tickets in Italy is cheaper than buying a railpass. the exception is if you are going to travel a significant distance like from the top of the boot to the toe in a day or so. You can do the math. www.trenitalia.com is the rail site Remember than even with a railpass, you will still need to buy a seat reservation for everything but the regional trains that don't have reservations. That is an extra 10 euro per person for the fast trains and 3 euro for the IC trains. Trenitalia also has cheaper discount fares available depending on when you buy tickets.

Posted by
101 posts

I agree with Ron, you will most likely be better off with point to point tickets rather than a rail pass. Check out the Trenitalia website to see the different options available to you. You get the best price if you reserve your tickets early, online, using the Super Economy fares. This fare won't be refundable and won't allow changes, but if you can stick with the date and time you choose it is the best price you can get. Check out RoninRome.com for super helpful advice on using the trains in Italy. Happy Travels! Jessica

Posted by
209 posts

Point to point is going to be cheaper for you. I'd put money on it. Take the bus from Florence to Siena, it's cheaper and faster and get's you right to the tourist district. Train will get you easily to Lucca and Pisa from Florence. For Tuscan hill towns beyond Siena, I'd think about a car. There's very little difference between 1st and 2nd class on Italian trains.