Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Italy

We have purchased both our rail passes and reserved seats. Will we be able to walk on this time with passes or is there another step that I am forgetting??

Posted by
1564 posts

I believe the first time you use it you need to go to a ticket wicket and show your passport and have them validate the pass.

Posted by
7737 posts

For any others who read this post, buying a rail pass almost never makes financial sense for train travel in Italy. You can buy tickets directly through trenitalia.com and save a bundle on 2nd class tickets if you buy up to four months in advance. And 2nd class is perfectly fine for train travel in Italy. See this thread for more info: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/109453/what-trains-are-allowed-on-italy-rail-pass.html

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks. I thought I remembered another window to go to.

Posted by
6898 posts

Lori, to answer your question, once you have your pass validated, and, you have purchased your seat reservations (10Euro for each Frecci fast train you will be on), you have nothing further to do. Just get on the train and find your seat. For regionale trains, you do not have seat reservations because none are permitted. Your pass will cover you completely without any extra fees. Just get on and find your own seat.