Please sign in to post.

train travel in Italy

We are going to Italy and will be using high speed trains to get from city to city. We are wondering how luggage is handled on trains. Will we want to put it in overhead bins and if so, what sort of size restrictions are there? We will be traveling first class.

Posted by
3391 posts

Usually there is a compartment at the end of the train car that has racks for everyone's luggage. I have only travelled first class in Italy a couple of times. Sometimes I have had to haul my luggage on myself and put it in the rack and other times I've had someone help me. Italian trains tend to have a wide variety of service and amenities from my experience! The luggage racks are large and can accommodate whatever size suitcase you bring on - the issue is how many people get on before you and how much luggage do they have? Sometimes finding a place to put it can be challenging. You also need to anticipate your stop so that you have enough time to get yourself and your luggage off the train before it starts again - there is usually plenty of time and an employee will be outside the train to make sure everyone is off before the signal is given to proceed. Have fun...train travel can be quite the adventure in Europe, especially in Italy!

Posted by
6898 posts

There are always large racks above the seat in Italian train cars although they are smaller in height on the fast trains than the older trains. The Regionales still have the larger open racks. The larger luggage storage areas are at the end of the cars. One last option is between the seats. As the seats sit back to back, a large "V" is available between many of the seats. This permits a 23" or so roller to lay on its side between them.

Posted by
1994 posts

In my experience, the overhead racks are fairly shallow. They'll hold a 22", but probably not things much larger. Also, there's nothing to keep an overly large piece of luggage from falling off the rack in there's a sharp jolt. The other thing to consider is how strong and tall you are. I'm 5'1", and even standing on the seat, I'm not tall enough to safely get something off that rack; they are quite high. So, if you can minimize luggage size, you'll find life easier (in many ways). That said, one advantage of first class is that it's less crowded, and I've often been able to keep my luggage at my feet, next to my seat.

Posted by
55 posts

We traveled by train - First Class - from Rome to Florence to Venice and back to Rome. Our tickets specified one suitcase per person. We followed the advice from this helpline and carried one 22" suitcase each for our 9-day trip. So glad we did. There was plenty of room over our seats from our two suitcases and smaller bags (camera bag and messenger-style bag). The overhead area is open so there is more room than on an airplane. Try to keep your bags within you site: Getting onto the train in Florence (traveling to Venice) a young man quickly approached me as I was stepping onto the train, picked up my bag and preceded me onto the train. He put my bag over my seat and then walked away. I assumed he was a porter, but then, he and a young woman came up to me with their hands out saying - we helped with your bag. I realized I'd been taken advantage of and gave the young man a Euro - I wondered what they would have done if I had not given them the Euro.) I was glad that my bag was so stowed close to me so I could keep a newly-educated eye on it! There were floor racks nearby for larger luggage, and they filled quickly.