Please sign in to post.

Train travel help

Hi there,

We are traveling from Florence to Monterosso. The train we booked has multiple stops. One from Santa Maria Novella to Campo di Marte in Florence. I just noticed where we are staying is right smack between then. Can I just get a cab straight to Campo di Marte and just skip that first leg or will that mess up my other tickets?

Thanks!

Posted by
15876 posts

Oops, sorry for my last reply; I missed that you'd already bought tickets.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks! So just to clarify: we have a ticket right now from Santa Maria to Campo, then a ticket. from Campo to La Spezia, then a ticket to Monterosso.

We can just skip the first ticket and get on a Campo right? We booked through ItaliaRail and I should have paid more attention to locations. Would have booked smarter the first time 😂

Posted by
23355 posts

OK, Italiarail is not a train company but a travel agency just so you understand. Second train tickets are not link like continuing flight ticket in the US are linked. Skipping a leg has no bearing on the rest of your tickets. Just as long as that ticket is valid for the train you are riding. ONLY the Regionale ticket is good on any train at any time within with the time window and direction of train. Be absolutely certain you validate (time stamp) any Regionale ticket prior to boarding the train.

Posted by
5252 posts

Gabe,

So just to clarify: we have a ticket right now from Santa Maria to Campo, then a ticket. from Campo to La Spezia, then a ticket to Monterosso.
We can just skip the first ticket and get on a Campo right? We booked through ItaliaRail and I should have paid more attention to locations.

Do you actually have 3 separate tickets?
If so, then you will basically forgo the first ticket from Santa María Novella to Campo, and then you’ll just use the other 2 tickets to get you to your destination.

Consider using the official Italian Railway Company trenitalia.com for your future train travel and thus avoid paying extra third party fees.

Posted by
1231 posts

Hi Gabe. Just to add to what Frank said. Yes, ItaliaRail is a separate ticket reseller; but that has no bearing on your question. I'm guessing your 3 trains may be (1) a regional ticket to Campo di Marte, then (2) a ticket on the 7:54 Freccia train from Campo to La Spezia, then (3) a regional ticket from La Spezia to Monterosso. Like Frank said, you can view these as 3 separate tickets. If / when the conductor checks your ticket on any of the trains, they care only about that train. As you probably know, regional trains have no reserved seats. If I am right and you are on the 7:54 Freccia train, you will have reserved seats on that train. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
145 posts

Yes you can skip the first leg and just board the second train at Campo di Marte. My Trenitalia tickets had separate QR codes for each leg of the train journey, assuming you do too just show the conductor the code for the leg starting at Campo di Marte after you board.

This happens somewhat frequently in Florence with train routings because SMN station is a terminus (no thru tracks) so trains traveling through Florence to further destinations would have to change directions at SMN (and some do). However others avoid reversing by stopping at the other stations, Campo di Marte and/or Rifredi usually, to serve Florence.

Posted by
3812 posts

Be absolutely certain you validate (time stamp) any Regionale ticket prior to boarding the train.

Gabe, this is true only if you have purchased the Regionale ticket either at the counter or at ticket machines. Ticket purchased online on trenitalia.com do not need to be time-stamped.

This happens somewhat frequently in Florence with train routings because SMN station

Sorry to disagree, but this happens when a third-party sells tickets from "Florence" to "Cinque Terre-Monterosso".