Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

We will be traveling by train from Florence to Monterosso in September. As I have read much about advanced ticket discounted fares, I did a search, but came up with NA. Does this mean it is a regional train and we can buy tickets once in Florence? I also did a search from Monterosso to Varenna and came up with NA and changed to Como with same results. Is it because I am looking too far in advance? Thanks for the help.

Posted by
4140 posts

Susan ,Yes . You are attempting to book way in front of the 120 day advance purchase period . Some of the runs on this route are regionale trains , some are partially fast trains . For instance there is a regionale Florence-Pisa and transfer to a Freccebianca , Pisa-La Spezia . Some runs are all regionale . If you search a date closer in it will give you a reasonable view of what is available .

Posted by
7737 posts

And FWIW, the super economy fares become available four months in advance of the travel date, not 120 days. Because they can be snatched up quickly, it pays to know the exact policy.

Posted by
4140 posts

Michael , Thank you ! I was sloppy about the distinction . You are correct that a day or three could absolutely make a difference in snagging a ticket , very helpful information , Steve