Please sign in to post.

Train travel

Any difference in the type of ticket i buy? We are 3 adults with one piece of luggage each. I saw a description of what i think was first class and it mentioned space for luggage- do i need to book something like that to be sure we don't have our luggage on our laps?

Posted by
137 posts

Dave,
Just to add a note to what Stephanie and Larry have said: There is also space between seats that are situated back to back for those large, heavy suit cases that can't be lifted overhead. The only problem is that if they are on casters they tend to creep out when the train takes a sharp turn. There are also luggage racks near the entrance door or between cars.

Posted by
922 posts

There is space for luggage in 2nd class as well. How big are your bags? There is space overhead as well but it's usually not very big. Depending on when you buy the tickets, you can get some really good deals. I was recently looking at fares for november and they ranged from 18 (super economy) to 90 euros (base 2nd class fare) on the same train. First class is even more and not of much benefit in my opinion.

Posted by
6898 posts

Where are you going? Most trains have luggage racks from front to rear overhead but depending on the train type (i.e. TGV in France), some spaces are not as large as others. On all trains that I know of, you can keep your luggage overhead.

Posted by
32212 posts

Dave, As the others have mentioned, both first and second class cars have space for luggage. If your luggage is of "reasonable size", you can generally place it in the overhead rack above your seat, or keep it with you in the compartment. Should you need to place luggage in the rack at the end of the car, be sure you watch it, especially at stations or just prior to leaving a station. If you're not vigilant, your bags may "disappear" (I've seen it happen in various countries in Europe). You may find it helpful to have a look at This Excellent Website which has everything you'll ever need to know about travelling by train in Europe. Happy travels!