Please sign in to post.

Train travel

I'm looking to book a train from Geneva to Milan, via Brig. What is the difference between "mini" and "smart" on the Eurocity train? Thanks!

Posted by
16893 posts

You can see Trenitalia's fare rules for the detail, but consider the tickets probably not refundable or changeable. In the past, Trenitalia has required international tickets to be picked up in Italy, but they may have found a new solution. Before paying, be certain that you can print the tickets at home.

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi sm. From my experience, no difference other than price and availability. Both are for an exact train and non-refundable. One is big discount and other is even bigger discount. At some point (e.g. 21 days before train or when allocated tix on that train sell out) one type becomes unavailable, then later the other type does. I bought an international smart fare in 2015 on trenitalia.com and was able to at home print, but good advice from Laura to double check. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
20099 posts

Check the price at www.sbb.ch/en. They will be print-at-home, but the price could be higher. They will be priced in CHF, so you will have to make the currency conversion to EUR to compare prices.