Please sign in to post.

Train travel

What is best way/route to travel from Rome to Siena? How much travel time to allow? Same for Siena to Venice. Which website provides train schedule?
Thank you!

Posted by
20100 posts

www.bahn.de is the easiest to use, find intermediate stops, and get a route map.
www.trenitalia.it gives you the actual prices. For regional trains, click on the "Tutti Treni" and use a date one week from today. For high speed trains, you can use the the actual travel date if it is no more than 120 days from today.

Posted by
11613 posts

Buying the regionale ticket online may not save you anything, and you will only be able to purchase regionale tickets up to one week in advance (these are the tickets that have no reserved seats and must be validated before boarding).

Posted by
32212 posts

Kelly, That trip will take 3 -4 hours, depending on which train you choose. There are usually two options: > Freccia to Florence and then Regionale to Siena (more expensive but faster) > Regionale Veloce to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme and then Regionale to Siena (cheaper but slower) When you arrive in Siena, you'll be at the bottom of the hill so will have to take a Taxi or Bus up to the city. Another option would be to travel via Freccia to Florence and then take the SITA Bus to Siena. The advantage of this is that you'll be dropped right in Piazza Gramsci in the centre of town. Travel time is virtually the same as with the train. There are Buses from Rome to Siena, but they often only have one or two departures per day, so the timing is not as convenient. These usually depart from Roma Tiburtina. Happy travels!

Posted by
53 posts

Kelly. I dont know about a specific website that will give you this information. However, if you are going to Italy, and I have been there twice, I strongly recommend that you buy the new rick steves Italy book. The book have a page that tells the cost and travel time from one major city to another. Have a great trip! Bill

Posted by
6898 posts

The most frequent way from Rome to Siena is the train. Rome>Chiusi>Siena. It takes about 3.5hrs. The Siena train station in not in the city. It's almost a mile slightly downhill and its best to take the local bus from the train station up to the city. This is why I said "frequent" instead of "best". The best way is the bus from Rom-Tiburtina as it drops you off at the Siena city wall. It's cheaper than the train as well. But, there are only a couple of buses a day. For Siena to Venice, it's back down to the train station and off to Venice. You will change trains in Florence.