Please sign in to post.

train travel

My husband & I plan on travelling through Italy in May. We plan on taking the train from Rome to Venice on May 6th then from Venice to Florence on May 10th. We are also going to take a third train trip from Salerno to Rome on May 26th. Our question is, would it be cheaper to buy a Eurorail Italy Pass each, or pay separately for each leg of the trip? Also should we make reservations via the internet before we arrive in Italy or can we buy our tickets after we arrive there. We are two Seniors.

Posted by
32212 posts

Gail, With only three trips by rail, I doubt very much that a Railpass would be the most cost effective method. Most of your trips will likely be via "premium" trains such as EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita which have compulsory reservations. The reservation fees are NOT covered by the Railpass, so you'd have to pay separately "out of pocket" for those. If you're caught without valid reservations for the train you're riding on, you may be fined on the spot and it's not cheap! As I recall, the fines are typically €40-50 per person! The same could occur if riding on Regionale trains and you didn't validate the ticket in the yellow machine. If you buy P-P tickets, reservations are included. I normally buy tickets when in Italy, either from a staffed ticket window (often long queues) or from the automated Kiosks. I often purchase tickets for the outgoing journey when I arrive in a particular city, as I'm at the station anyway. It is possible to save money by booking on the internet, as you may be able to get the highly discounted "Mini" fares. Have a look at This Excellent Website for all the details, and a step-by-step guide for purchasing tickets on the net. It's also possible to get the "Mini" fares if purchasing in Italy, however these MUST be purchased before midnight at least 48-hours prior to the trip. They tend to sell out quickly, and once they're gone regular prices apply. Hopefully Ron will spot this Thread, as I'm sure he'll have some comments to add. Happy travels!

Posted by
34 posts

We are going in June and as far as I've researched the mini fares are fantastic! Bought one already 38$ from rome to venice:-)

Posted by
3 posts

Ken, Thanks for your quick response. Your information was very helpful.

Posted by
6898 posts

Gail, if you plan well and you are willing to be locked into specific train and departure time on your travel dates, you can get some great mini-fares on www.trenitalia.com. Here's a sample look at your 5/26 travel from Salerno to Rome. The mini-fare for one of the runs is 9E. There are other great fares if this one doesn't work. With these types of fares, you'll throw rocks at the Eurail pass. http://gyazo.com/4d26b952912d1ea09bcfd0f2f3b1107c

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Larry for your advice. we will certainly follow up on that. Gail

Posted by
83 posts

My wife and I found that for our longer trips we booked in advance so we could get a better deal. For shorter trips it was fine to just buy at the station when we got there.