Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

I am traveling with my daughters (age 15 and 17) to Geneva, Italy, and maybe France. I found a Railpass for all three of us for $1248.00...(5 days in 2 months) Gen.-Rome, Rome-Flor., Flor.-Venice, Venice-Geneva. Is this a good price? Is it cheaper to buy point to point? Will this allow us to travel for any five days anywhere throughout Switz., Italy, and France? Do my daughters (ages above) get a youth discount? Thanks, Joe

Posted by
23268 posts

The answer is not simple. You have to do the math by price the p2p tickets to see if there is a cost saving and factor in the premiums, sometimes called seat reservation, you have pay to use most of the trains. With the pass you are averaging $83/day plus another $15 for the premium. Almost a $100/per person/per day. So check the fares between those cities. I know the mini fare between Rome and Florence is about half that.

Posted by
306 posts

Geneva to Rome, 2nd class = 162.5 euros/person Rome to Florence, 2nd class = 45 euros / person. Florence to Venice, 2nd class = 43 euros/person Venice to Geneva, 2nd class = 99 euros/person Total cost equals approximately 1,048 euros. Point to Point appears cheaper. If you include another international destination the rail pass may save you money.

Posted by
2367 posts

Agree with Frank, that price seems high to me. Keep searching. It may take a lot of time but cost savings can be really worth it.