Please sign in to post.

Train travel

After getting so much wonderful information from all who replied I am really excited about going to Italy with my grandaughters. I am taking the advice about taking the train to Rome and driving the car around Tuscany and Florence. Now for ANOTHER question, I have been looking at the train info and don't know if I should reserve a certain train or can I just get one in the town. THANKS A MILLION

Posted by
1449 posts

book your tickets while in Italy. Its very easy. They have automated kiosks in almost all train stations, certainly in the cities you listed earlier. MUCH quicker than waiting in line for an agent. Kiosks have an english menu option (pick the British flag) & take credit cards. You type in a few letters of your destination and select it, then it shows you the times. Pick a day & time, # of seat, and 1st or 2nd class. If you can work an ATM you can work these. Buy your tix a day or two ahead of each leg so you know what time the train will be. Validate your tix in the yellow box by the tracks before getting on. And look at your tix to see if they are general seating or show a specific car & seat (you can guess how I found this out!)

The advantage of reserving there is you have more flexibility, and that's what you said you wanted. If you are loving a city and decide to spend extra time there its easy to do; book from here and you're more tied into a schedule.

Posted by
1633 posts

We bought our tickets in Italy. I did print off the train schedules here in the States for the days I thought we would travel. With this info in hand, we could decide when we were there which train would be best. We even used an automated ticket machine in Rome. However, all of the sudden my son and I were surrounded by people trying to help us--not sure if they had other intentions or not. So, just be aware. Also, when you buy your ticket for a specific train you have to be on that train, you cannot switch to another train. That's why we bought our tickets there. Have fun!