Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

We will be traveling to Italy in a couple of weeks. Once we fly into Milan we will be traveling by train primarily. Milan to Venice when we arrive from the states initially. Then Venice to Siena. Next Siena to Manarola. Finally Manarola back to Milan. It looks like from what I can tell that we can wait till we arrive in Italy to purchase our train tickets. Does that make sense? If it does make sense then would it also make sense to purchase all of the individual trips at the same time? Thanks

Posted by
4152 posts

You can try purchasing your tickets now but if you are traveling after June 12th you won't be able to. Also, if some of the legs are on regional trains you won't be able to purchase them either. You can just wait until you arrive in Milan and then buy all of your tickets. You may qualify for some discounts this way. Donna

Posted by
23268 posts

Sure, if you are absolutely locked into your schedule buy them all at the same time. And their might be some discounts available for early purchases. And you might look for a travel agency on the street for your tickets. There is no up charge from local travel agencies.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi, Thanks to each of the three of you for your kind replies to my questions. One question more. Will I be able to sort through the possible discounts we may qualify for using the kiosks at the station or would we be better served looking for a travel agent or such. Keep in mind we will be at the train station at Malpensa airport since we fly into Milan before heading to Venice. We arrive on May 19th. Thanks so much.
Charlie

Posted by
23268 posts

The discount structure for treenitalia was recently changed so I am not as familiar as I once was. BUT, I think, the only discount is the mini fares and it will easily show on the auto ticket machines. You have to pass through the central station in Milan. If you have time use one of the ticket windows there.

Posted by
14 posts

I am in the same boat. My son and I are going to Italy 5/24/11 - 6/4/11. We will fly to Venice. Train from Venice to Florence then Florence to Naples and then Naples to Rome. I was able to string together 3 sets of tickets on the Trenitalia site utilizing the new "Mini" discounts. The first train trip is 2nd class and the others are first class and the total cost was 294 euro or $435.12. These kinds of tickets reserve a seat (not choice) and are ticketless i.e., e-mail confermation. I just set a message to the Rick Steves' Rail group requesting their opinion on my schedule versus a rail pass. I will let you know what I get from them. Tony in St. Louis

Posted by
23268 posts

I am not sure what you mean by reserve a seat - not choice. Or do you mean that you were unable to choose your seat? That is not a big deal. All the seats are good. They will put you together. And not sure why you are asking about a rail pass after you have purchased the tickets.