Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

Will be travelling from Venice to Naples in October and I have a question about the train travel. IT is approx a 6 hour ride and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to travel first class versus economy.

Posted by
7209 posts

I've traveled on both 1st and 2nd class Eurostar, and I think I will not ever pay extra for 1st class Eurostar tickets again. 2nd class is just fine and not very different from 1st.

Posted by
6898 posts

All you will get is extra leg and arm room over what you get in 2nd class. Arm and leg room in 2nd class is very good to begin with. It's not worth the extra cost. No comparison to 1st and 2nd class on a plane.

Posted by
7737 posts

The only advantage to 1st class is that you have an assigned seat. Not worth it, in my book. We've traveled both 1st and 2nd class, and prefer 2nd class both for cost savings and the likelihood that you'll be traveling with Italians instead of other tourists.

(Tim points out below that 2nd class seats on Eurostar are also reserved. My bad.)

Posted by
705 posts

Yes you do get more leg room and often have very few in the carriage with you. I find this a plus as you can keep changing sides to get the best of the views. It really depends on your budget and the price difference and how important the extra room is to you.

Posted by
7209 posts

I assume Wayne meant that he will be traveling on the EuroStar from Venice to Naples in which case both 1st and 2nd class tickets will have reserved seats.

Posted by
32206 posts

Wayne, as Rick frequently says"Remember that nearly every train has both first- and second-class cars, each going at precisely the same speed!"

I normally travel second class and in some cases reserved seats are required with these. The fancy airline style seats and other small amenities in first class don't rate the extra cost in most cases. However, when travelling with a Rail Pass those above a certain age must travel first class (although there's no reason you couldn't sit in second class in that case, as long as there's no issue with seat reservations.

Happy travels!