Please sign in to post.

Train travel

We will be traveling from Cortona to Sorrento by train, should we go to Florence to catch a fast train or taking a bus to a closer town and catching a train from there? I know we will have to change in Rome, any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks

Posted by
1078 posts

Looking at Italiarail.com, it appears that you would have to go Sienna/Florence/Naples, with the change in Florence; time was 4+ to 6+ hours for the trip. You do not have to change in Rome, however, once in Naples, you would hop on the Circumveneusia to Sorrento which is a commuter line. We have done this route from both Florence and Bologna in the past and 2nd class was no problem.
Candidly, I couldn't find any rail to Cortona and Sienna was the closest city to catch the train, so I would think you could take the bus to Sienna.

Posted by
6898 posts

First, you won't be catching the train in Cortona. No train station there. But, there is good bus service to two different train stations nearby. I would suggest taking the train back to Florence if you want to catch the hig-speed. Next, if you board the high-speed train in Florence, you don't necessarily have to change trains in Rome. In fact, there is one train an hour departing Florence for Naples which is where you want to go to get to Sorrento. No train change necessary on these hourly runs. Trip takes 2hrs51min. The train will stop in Rome but no train change. I see fares as low as 19Euro if you book 90 days out. Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Or, the regular base fare will be 68Euro. At Napoli Centrale, you simply go downstairs to the Circumvesuviana train and buy a ticket to Sorrento. About 4E-5E. Circumvesuviana is a private train system and is not part of Trenitalia.