Please sign in to post.

Train transfers

I have heard the trains are often late and thinking of purchasing a non-refundable ticket from Siena via Florence to Naples. Has anyone has experience with the trains from Siena to Florence as to their timeliness.? We have 19 minutes between transfers in Florence? is that possible?

Posted by
23268 posts

We have hit a lot of trains in Italy and generally find them to be on time as much as any other train system. Most are within a couple of minutes. Nineteen minutes should be fine. If depends a little bit on the train level. For all trains in Italy EXCEPT the Regionale trains, you are required to have a seat reservation. So if you miss a connection because of late arrival you can get a new ticket but there is hassle association finding the ticket and getting the new ticket. If it is Regionale train with no reservation required, then you just grab the next Regionale train probably within the next 30 minutes to an hour.io

It mostly Regionale trains between Siena and Florence so those ticket should not be purchase on-line in advance - no advantage. Purchase in the station. The trains between Florence and Naples are Frecciarossa (High speed) so you can get deep discounts ticket for that portion and those ticket should be purchased in advance IF you are willing to commit to a specific date and time.

Posted by
4862 posts

Where did you hear that Italian trains often run late? 19 minutes should give you ample time to get from one platform to the next, with time for a coffee in between.

Posted by
7294 posts

I’m finishing up a 3-week trip in Italy. We’ve never had late trains on previous trips. During this trip I’ve run into late trains about a third of the time. All of them touching Milano Centrale or Bologna were late. Florence were on time. Regionale’s were fairly in time. All of these were morning or early afternoon trains.

Posted by
7294 posts

I bought my Regionales on-line ahead of time, too. When I walked through the train stations there were some long lines to purchase tickets. I exchanged a ticket at Lucca this morning for my ride on Monday, and I let people in front of me because they were in line and were going to miss the train they needed.

Posted by
20103 posts

Yes it is possible, even probable. If you would miss your connection due to a late arriving train, since you would have a unified ticket, you could just stop in at the ticket window and get a free reservation for the next direct train to Naples, which goes 44 minutes later.

I am guessing that you are looking at the 8:48 departure from Siena, arriving at Florence S.M.N. at 10:05, connecting to the 10:24 Frecciarosso to Naples. The 8:48 Regionale originates in Orbetello-Monte Argentario at 6:44, so it can accumulate delays as it winds its way to Siena. There is an 8:18 Regionale to Florence that originates in Siena, so it is very likely to depart on time. It arrives at Florence S.M.N. at 9:50, giving you 34 minutes to change trains. That would be the super safe option.