Please sign in to post.

Train to Varenna?

My fiance and I will be traveling from Venice to Varenna on July 21, 2014. I realize that trenitalia only puts it's fares online 2 months in advance, but I was poking around looking at pricing two months from now and am unable to find any fares to Varenna. Help! How do I get there? Should we purchase train tickets from Venice to Milan, and then additional tickets from Milan to Varenna?

Posted by
11613 posts

Trenitalia tickets can be purchased up to 120 days in advance, but the June-December schedules may not be posted yet. When they are, you need to check "Tutti i Treni" or click on the British flag icon for the English translation, then enter Venezia Santa Lucia to Varenna-Esino. You can buy the entire journey in one transaction but you will probably receive two tickets via email (train change in Milano Centrale from Freccia to Regionale). If you wait until two months out, the lowest fares will be gone. Journey takes a little over four hours.

Posted by
1222 posts

Hi Andra. Yes, the train from Milan to Varenna is a regional train, the fare is 6 Euro, impossible to sell out, so do not buy that portion in advance, just buy when you are in Italy. To see the schedule on trenitalia.com; use Milano Centrale and Varenna-Esino. For the Venice to Milan portion, since you know your date, you can get a discount fare by buying in advance when the schedules for July come online sometime in April or May. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11613 posts

Once summer tickets go on sale you can buy the entire ticket, including the regionale portion - I just did this two weeks ago.