Please sign in to post.

Train to Varenna

We are set on taking a day trip to Varenna/ Bellagio from Milan.. I have been on Trenitalia web site and can't seem to find what stop I need to get off .. I plugged in the towns the RS book mentions, I come up with nothing. Also, I assume there is return train service back to Milan late into the evening? I am packed ! Just have to finish my daypack and we are off this Friday afternoon!!! Thanks to every one on this Italy forum... Your tips and direction have been invaluable to me and my husband...

Posted by
7737 posts

You want the Varenna-Esino stop. Be sure that the webpage you're looking at is for "Tutti i Treni" (all trains) and not "Le Frecce" (only the highspeed trains). From Varenna you would take the ferry to Bellagio.

Posted by
922 posts

You take the train from Milan Centrale to Varenna-Esino. The train doesn't stop very long, so you need to be ready to get off when it stops. Trains run about once an hour in both directions. Since this is a regional train, you can't buy tickets more than 7 days in advance.

Posted by
16184 posts

If Varenna-Esino still,doesn't work, try switching it to the FS Italia website using the button in the upper left corner. Sometimes that works better. Also note that this is a regional train so they will not show schedules far in advance. Are you using a date in the next week?

Posted by
267 posts

Lola, No, this will be on April 5th... Thanks will try this

Posted by
7737 posts

Regional train trips don't appear on the website more than 7 days in advance. No reason or need to buy tickets in advance. If you're curious about the schedule, just choose the day of the week that you'll be traveling. April 5 is a Friday, so choose Friday March 29 instead.

Posted by
16184 posts

And if Trenitalia still won't cooperate, you can check the schedules on the Swiss site, www.rail.ch. it does recognize Varenna-Esino. According to them, there are return trains from Varenna to Milano Centrale at 16:37, 18:37, 20:37, 21:37, and a last train at 22:21.