Please sign in to post.

Train to Rome

Will be driving from Pugila to Rome. Can someone suggest a good drop point for the rental, so we can train travel into Rome, or is it easy to simply drop the car off at Fiumicino Airport? Thanks

Posted by
4384 posts

You might check your rental agency's locator map first to see if they have an office on the outskirts (well outside ztl).

Posted by
3111 posts

How about dropping it off in Bari, then take a leisurely train to Rome from there?

Posted by
3812 posts

Drop at the airport, even if it wasn't simple you won't die and there are two train lines to Rome.

For sure it will be easier than driving inside Bari, searching for a drop point out of the ZTL and walking to the station with suitcases in tow.

Edit: There is a direct train Departing from Bari at 8:53 and taking 3 h and 32 mm. Driving in downtown Bari around 8 AM should be feasible. Maybe the "leisure" option suggested by SJ is better than mine, as long as the drop point is somehow close to Bari Centrale station.

Posted by
76 posts

Thanks Dario. I did not know about the train from Bari...everything I looked at was around 6 hrs from Bari to Rome. What particular train route is it?

Posted by
3812 posts

I have no idea, It's just a Trenitalia FrecciaArgento train departing from Bari Centrale at 8:53 AM.

On trenitalia.com you can click the small grey " i " next to the train code to open a pop-up window with all the intermediate stops. I guess you can point those stops on Google Maps to see where a train runs through.

Posted by
11159 posts

Or fly, very inexpensive when we flew Rome to Bari to Rome.

Posted by
4384 posts

I thought you were looking for somewhere in Rome's outskirts.
In Bari, there are several agencies a couple blocks from central train station, not a difficult walk if you have carry-on amounts of luggage. It's not a difficult to the highway from there.

Posted by
3111 posts

Looks like a 4 hour direct Frecciargento train, Bari to Roma Termini.