Please sign in to post.

Train tickets in advanced

Good morning everybody!
Is it a good idea to buy a train ticket in advance for the month of July? We are seven and we are traveling from Rome to Florence roundtrip same day.
Thank you so much!

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, if you want seven seats together, and you're ready to reserve specific times to be sure that you get the most time at your destination, then buying tickets now would be a good idea. Pretty much all tickets on this route are sold for reserved dates and times. You may find some discounted rates still available, with exchange restrictions. It's also possible for a specific train departure or class of service to sell out. However, if you can't all agree on the plan, then there is no deadline to buy tickets.

Posted by
31 posts

Hello,
I received an email this morning that Italo was having a 40% off sale. I have been looking at tickets from Roma Termini to Florence, they were in the 25 euro range pp each way, for the XL seats. I bought the same seats today for 15.60 euro. Less than E64 for two people round trip, same day.

Hope that helps!

Posted by
32214 posts

g.hbliss,

With rare exceptions, Italo trains do not use Roma Termini but rather Roma Tiburtina. Could you verify that you actually have tickets for trains departing from Termini?

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you very much!

I verify prices and terminals ( Termini and S. M. N ) We are traveling on July 21st. They have regular prices.
I just need to decide between flexibity or not available seats.

Posted by
31 posts

Yes....they do travel to/from Termini. I also have tickets from Naples to Termini on the 26th with Italo. I think I paid E12 for those right when they went on sale. (120 days)

Departure date: 28/09/2015
Train number: 9980
Departure:ROMA TERMINI
Arrival:FIRENZE SANTA MARIA NOVELLA
Departure time: 07:15
Arrival time: 08:47

Posted by
32214 posts

g.hbliss,

Thanks for clarification on that. It appears that Italo is increasing their departures from Termini, which will provide lots more choices for travellers.