Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

Whats the difference between standard , flexi and amica fares??
What happens if we miss a train and have a standard or an amica fare reservation?
What is the advantage of a flexi select eurail pass over point to point tickets if I do have to make reservations on night trains and certain ES trains..
this is so confusing..I am sure this question has been asked many times over ..i did some searches here and couldnt find the exact answers
thanks in advance!!
Mala

Posted by
521 posts

I can answer most of that for you.

A "flexi" pass is a rail pass that gives you non-consecutive travel days. So, for example, a standard Eurail pass is validated one day, and you can have unlimited rail travel every day thereafter for a set period (say 30 days for example). This is beneficial if you plan on travelling most days by train. By comparison, a flexi pass lets you choose which days you will travel without needing to pay for all days on your trip. So say you buy a pass for five travel days within one month. That means that from the moment the pass is validated, you have 30 days to use it up. Within those 30 days, you can choose any five days where you will get unlimited rail travel for each of those days.

Remember these are just examples - Eurail and Eurail flexi passes are available for different durations, but the concept is exactly the same.

Alright, that being said, if you are just staying in Italy, you can pretty much forget about the Eurail pass as the more experienced travellers will tell you that point-to-point tickets in Italy are less expensive.

Although I have just told you not to get a pass, I will answer your question anyways about the benefit of getting a pass when you need reservations anyways. If you have a pass, you will need to pay an extra reservation fee for a night train or an ES. If you are buying point-to-point tickets, you are paying for the ticket PLUS the reservation fee as well. In many European countries, you can save money with a pass yet still paying reservation fees... it just seems that Italy is not one of 'em.

As for what to do if you miss your train with a point-to-point, I will have to leave that for the next poster as I had a Eurail global pass when I went.

Posted by
77 posts

thanks Steve, We are planning on going to switzerland as well as Austria....If it were just italy i will defn go with p2p.

Posted by
6898 posts

Mala, your questions involve two different types of "Flexi" items. One is the Eurail Flexi pass that was described by Steven above. In your first question, Trenitalia has does have a Flexi fare. The Flexi fare on Trenitalia cost 20% more than the standard fare and provides better ticket exchange options than other tickets. The Flexi fare is only offered on the AV, AV>>, ES,ES>>, EScity, IC Plus, couchettes cars, WL, Excelsior and Excelsior E4 trains. The standard fare is the standard fare.

For the AMICA fare, I think Trenitalia is changing things. The Amica fare used to provide a 20% discount on all domestic trains except for the Regional and IC trains but on their new and updated website, I see that the Amica fare will be offered only on the Expresses, IC, ICN, IC Plus and EScity trains. It is not offered on the AV, AV Fast, ES, ES* Fast, Excelsior and Excelsior E4 carriages4 and Regional trains. I think that this is a change. The Amica ticket can be purchased up to 24 hours before departure. Amica fares are limited. If you miss the train with the Amica fare, you can be put on a later train (within 3 hours) of equal class but you will have to pay the difference between the Amica fare and the full standard fare.

Finally, I'm seeing a new discounted fare of 15% off. It's called the Premium fare. It's good only on the AV, AV>>, ES>> and ES* trains. Fares are reduced by about 15% with respect to the Standard Fare in both 1st and 2nd class. In any case the minimum fares are applied to trains used. The Premium ticket can be bought up until midnight on 7th day before train departure.

Posted by
77 posts

Thanks you so much for always having answers to my questions.
So if I purchased a standard ticket on trenitalia do I have an option of changing the date of travel incase something goes wrong?
For now we have our dates of journey confirmed..but we be traveling with our 20 month old baby..Hopefully everything goes well but if we do need to change our dates of travel is it better to go with a eurail flexi pass option or can I make date changes with Standard p2p tickets ?
Also, how early can I purchase tickets on sbb.ch?
I am unable to price tickets for May on their website for now
Thanks again for all the help!!
Mala

Posted by
6898 posts

Mala, here is the scoop on changing a standard ticket from the Trenitalia webiste.

Trains allowed
AV, AV Fast, ES, ES Fast, ES*city, IC Plus, couchettes cars, WL, Excelsior, Excelsior E4, IC, ICN and Expresses,

Booking change
AV, AV Fast , ES* city , ES, ES Fast, IC Plus, couchettes cars, WL, Excelsior, Excelsior E4, and IC, ICN, Expresses Ticketless
The change booking is free of charge:

twice from the issuing date up to train's departure applying online on this website sito, using self service machines, calling the Call Center (89 20 21), going to ticket office or alle tarvel agencies (in the case of Ticketless the issuing agency). Also at on - platform for AV and AV>> trains

only once after train departure up to the next 24 hours, applying only at the ticket office and the self service machines in the departing station indicated on the ticket and on the platform (only for AV and AV Fast trains)

The same procedure is due for Ticketless ticket.

Booking changes are free and allowed for trips to be made within two months from the original booking date.
Agencies may charge a commission for this service.

IC, ICN ed Expresses (not ticketless)
Booking is optional and charged for separately (3 euro) and cannot be changed.

You have some good flexibility with your ticket.

Next, where are you going in Switzerland? I can look up fares and details.