Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets

Is it better to buy train tickets in US or buy them after reaching Italy? We plan to travel from Milan to Florence; Florence to La Spezia and La Spezia to Milan.

Posted by
153 posts

When you are there has been the common theme for awhile, but I've been hearing about advanced purchased "mini" fares. If you can get them, I hear they are cheaper. Otherwise, just do it in Italy.

Posted by
32219 posts

Raj, I'd suggest buying them in Italy, as it's a very easy process. As others mentioned, you may qualify for the reduced "Mini" fare if purchased the day prior to travel (details are on Ron's website at the link in the previous reply). You can purchase tickets either from staffed ticket windows or from the automated Kiosks. Don't forget to validate! If you buy tickets from the U.S., they will likely be train-specific. If you happen to miss that train due to circumstances at the time, that will "complicate" matters somewhat. Happy travels!

Posted by
14 posts

buy them when you are at the train station but get there earlier than you want to go

Posted by
14 posts

Raj, Looking at other posts after I posted you, I would not waste time buying them here. And, don't get euros here either unless you need a few to get you buy at first. Get them at the ATMs there, very easy. Call your bank and make sure they 'get it" that you need to withdraw over there. Credit cards are no problem The train tix are very specific and we had them for our first Eurostar trip. But we found that not many take them in first class, and it's pretty cheap if you are going from Rome to Florence for instance, so if you arrive 1 hour before you want to leave you will get a good seat, second or first class, generally.
Joy