Please sign in to post.

train tickets

I am trying to purchase tickets online from Venice to Florence in mid-July and do not see any mini fares listed, just the regular first and second class tickets. Should I assume that there are none available for the day I have listed?

Posted by
16335 posts

Select a train (by departure time) and hit "continue". the next screen will display the mini fares if they are available.

Posted by
4152 posts

Do as Lola suggests but just remember that these fares are capacity controlled so on some trains those fares may be sold out. You can click on the different trains to see if there is a lower mini fare. They do change from train to train and city to city. Donna

Posted by
16335 posts

Good point, Donna. On any given day, some trains may be sold out of the "mini" fares and others may not be. The initial page, showing several choices of trains based on your departure time, will show only the regular 1st and 2d class fares for those trains. So you need to check each train separately to see if there are mini fares available on any of them.. Too bad it is not like the Spanish train site (Renfe), which shows all trains available on a given day, AND the discounts, on the opening page.

Posted by
81 posts

So far after selecting a particular time the fares seem to remain the same, without a mini fare option.

Posted by
4152 posts

You have to click the time you wish then the continue button. If the mini fare is available it will appear on the next screen. If it's not available then go back and choose another time. I don't know your travel dates but I entered a random date of July 7 and the mini fares still popped up. Be sure to click the continue button after choosing the time or you won't see the fares. Donna

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks Donna. I also entered the random July 7th date. Do I look at the more choices option? In which case, the responses are all in Italian! Got to get my dictionary out!

Posted by
16335 posts

Start with the Trenitalia website in English. Using the July 7 date, input 9 am as the departure time. The next screen will show 5 trains, the first of which is an IC so ignore that. Select the 10:27 ES train and hit the red "continue" button below the list. The next screen will show 3 fares, one of which is the mini fare for that train. The 10:27 and 12:27 Venice to Florence trains still have mini fares for July 7. The 9:27 and 11:27 trains do not.

Posted by
81 posts

Well it works as you said. Mini fare available at 8am but not 9 or 10. Thanks again