Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets

Ok, so booked all my train trips (I know I can do it there but would rather have it done and not have to make time while in Italy!) via Travelocity and will be getting paper tickets. That is what we did on our last trip too and it was great. I am trying to remember though ~ I don't think with paper tickets (or e-tickets) you have to get them stamped before boarding the train? That is only for tickets you buy at the stations?

Posted by
4152 posts

If the tickets are for specific trains, on specific days at specific times, they don't need to be validated. You must validate regional train tickets that can be used on any regional train where a seat reservation is not required.

donna

Posted by
475 posts

Awesome, Donna. Thanks. Yes, they are for specific trains on specific dates. We are not purchasing regional tickets from La Spezia to Manarola ~ will do that when there so will remember to get those stamped!

Posted by
475 posts

Just got all my train tickets ~ woohoo~ but just want to confirm something per what Donna says below. The tickets with reserved seats have a date and time already on them so I believe those do not need to be validated at train station prior to boarding. The other tickets that do not have reserved seats (open seating) and do NOT have dates and times on them must be validated at train station prior to boarding? Just want to be sure! Thanks

Posted by
1317 posts

If in doubt, validate everything. Validating a ticket that does not need to be validated has no consequence, while not validating a ticket that DOES need to be validated brings a hefty fine.