Please sign in to post.

train tickets

I would like to know if it would be cheaper to get a railpass or buy point to point tickets. I will need to use the train 8 times in 3 weeks in Italy. I was wondering since the dollar is so weak, it would be better to buy the railpass. Any ideas?

Posted by
4555 posts

Point to point tickets will be far cheaper than a rail pass, especially since you may be able to get discounts some days in advance.

Posted by
2193 posts

We traveled all over northern Italy a couple of years ago and purchased nothing but point-to-point tickets as we went. Second class tickets are fairly cheap, and we were always able to get them at the station for the next train out with no problem. If I were to go back tomorrow, this is how I would do it.

Posted by
4152 posts

You should go to the trenitalia website to check the point to point fares. Sometimes a railpass is better than buying point to point tickets but not usually. You will be traveling a lot so you should check out the cost of PTP tickets and compare to the cost of the rail pass. Don't forget with the rail pass seat reservations are not included and you will pay an additional fee for them. The new schedule for trenitalia will be available on the 12th or 13th but I think you can see what the schedule and fares are going to be now.

You won't be able to buy your PTP tickets before you get to Italy as trenitalia doesn't take credit cards that are not from Italy.

Donna

Posted by
1018 posts

I have used both over the years. Now I only use point-to-point tickets or a car. You can buy tickets from a self-service machine or a ticket window. I prefer 1st class, but on regional trains there is not much difference between classes.

I have found the Trenitalia website to be only somewhat informative.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the helpful ideas. I will buy the point to point tickets. I didn't know that you have to pay extra for reservations on some of the tickets. Thanks again.
Eva