Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

My friend and I will be in Italy in mid- September, 2019. We need train tickets from Milan to Venice and back and also from Milan to Varenna and back.
What type of tickets should we buy? Plus any details on the tickets such as reservations, reserving ahead, where to buy, which class, etc.
Thanks.

Posted by
7910 posts

I would buy trains that go directly from Milan to Venice as soon as they go on sale. The direct trains on this route are known as Frecciarosa and come with a seat assignment. You can search and buy these at trenitalia.com 90 days in advance. Milan to Varenna you can buy those when you get there as those are short distance trains known in Italian as regionale. The price is fixed on regionale trains and no reservations are needed.

Posted by
5232 posts

Betty,
Are you planning to travel to Venice upon arriving to Milan?
If you’ll be flying into Milan, it’s generally not recommended to book your train tickets in advance due to possible unforeseen delays ( plane, passport control, baggage claim, etc...)

You can, however, book your tickets from Venice to Milan, as soon as possible to take advantage of discounted tickets (usually available 120 days in advance)
High speed trains (freccia) are very comfortable. I usually book 2nd class.

When traveling from Milan to Varenna, you’ll take a Regional train. You can buy these tickets at the Malpensa airport ( upon arrival) or at Milano Centrale station.

You can check train schedules on Trenitalia.com and you’ll need the train stations in Italian as follows:

• Milan = Milano Centrale
  • Venice = Venezia S. Lucia
  • Varenna = Varenna-Esino

Make sure you buy round trip tickets, from Milan to Varenna, as the tiny station in Varenna is unmanned and the ticket machine may not be working.

Don’t forget to validate (date/time stamp) your Regionale train tickets prior to boarding the train to avoid hefty fines.

Freccia tickets (Milan to Venice) do not need to be validated because they are train and date/time specific.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
3812 posts

these at trenitalia.com 90 days in advance

Between 120 and 180 days in advance, to be Accurate. 90 days in advance some of the cheapest fares could be sold out.
Even if regional trains can't sell out, there are reasons to get tickets in advance online: Online purchased tickets do not need to be time-stamped before getting on the trains.

Both the tobacconist shop on Varenna's main street and the travel agency near the train station sell Regionale tickets, but there is internet in the Lakes District.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to everyone who replied to my train ticket post! Very helpful information!

Posted by
3112 posts

Italo also runs high-speed trains between Milan and Venice, although probably fewer per day than Trenitalia. Sometimes their prices are lower and/or discounted tickets are available after Trenitalia's discounted tickets have sold out. Second class tickets are perfectly fine. No need to consider a higher class of service unless they're offering a price equivalent to second class.