Please sign in to post.

Train ticket help

I'm wondering which website is the best to preorder train tickets to Salerno. I have looked up departure times and each site is different. I realize these are different trains. Does it matter which company.looked at Italotreno.it, Italiarail.com, and Trenitalia.it.

Italiarail times work best for me.
Any insite would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted by
1206 posts

Trenitalia.com is the website for the national train company. I have used it for years, no problems at all. Italotreno.it is a second train company in Italy. They run fewer trains, on select routes. Each of these websites will show only THEIR trains, but between the two of them you will see all possibilities, and can purchase tickets, choose your seats (if on fast trains that allow seat selection; "regionale" trains are open-seating) and pre-print your tickets.

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for the replies. Still a little unsure. Italiarail sells tickets for a commission but does not run trains correct. But there times are better and the prices are cheaper. I'm looking for the earliest departure time to Salerno from Rome. Italiarail has times starting at 0520 whereas the other sites start at around 0900. And some trains on Trenitalia are 5+ hour rides!! Confusing.

Posted by
23241 posts

You are doing something wrong but not sure what. The most complete schedule will be Trenitalia.com. The Italotreno.com is a private railroad company using/leasing Trenitalia tracks and stations. Their schedule is primarily high speed trains between major cities. Either is good choice. It is my understanding the italiarail is a travel agency selling railroad tickets. Stick to Trenitalia first and treno second. Give me one of your routes, day and time, and I will see what I can find.

There are several levels of trains -- the high speed that make travel faster between cities and don't go everywhere. Intercity, Intercity Expresses, a little slower and makes more stops. The Regionale trains (think - bus on wheels) is the slowest, most stops, cheapest, and go almost everywhere. A quick check shows the faster train with one change is 2 hours and some minutes. The Regionale trains take five hours and a couple of changes.

Posted by
15797 posts

Right. Italiarail does not operate trains so you'll be using either a Trenitalia or Italo train. Times shown on the Italiarail site shouldn't be any different as all it's doing is consolidating schedules from both of those sites.

Direct "fast" trains, or with maybe just one change, will cover ground much quicker than slower regionales with more stops or which involve multiple changes.

What day/month are you trying to book this for?

Posted by
27062 posts

For many train websites, the requested departure time defaults to what the clock on your computer says. If you're checking at 9 AM your time and just change the travel date to your chosen day in March, April, May, you may very well be requesting trains departing at 9AM or later and will not see the very early morning trains. Look carefully at the two-digit number to the right of the Departure date shown on the Trenitalia website. If you want early trains, you may need to click on the down arrow and change the time to an earlier hour.

It's possible you might save a small amount of money by buying from italiarail.com if it is using an old currency-conversion rate or something like that. You also might waste money there. Just check the fares on Trenitalia.com to be sure.

Posted by
20023 posts

Italiarail is a US based travel agency that specializes in selling Trenitalia tickets. It charges a small commission, and does not bother with Regionale trains unless they are part of a connection with Freccia (hi-speed) trains or Intercity trains.
Of the trains cited by Scythian, the 5:31 trains are slow Regionale trains, making a lot of stops.
The 6:26 and 7:26 trains are Intercity train, making a lot of stops.
The 8:40 train is a Freccia hi-speed train that makes only one stop between Rome and Salerno (at Naples) and travels on special tracks that allow it to go around 200 mph.

Posted by
37 posts

Thank you everyone.
Frank my date of travel is May 20. I would like to get to Salerno as early as possible. I have seen some 0915-0930 arrival times. Not sure they are accurate since they are on the Italirail site. Grime what everyone is saying, the trenitalia is most reliable. It also looks like I should wait a couple more weeks to book. All times may not be posted yet. Thanks again.

Posted by
20023 posts

If you can make the 5:31 Regionale to Napoli Central, change to an Intercity Night Train, it arrives at 9:12.
Or you can take the 6:31 Intercity to Salerno arriving at 9:23.
Or you can take the 8:40 Freccia to Salerno and arrive at 10:05. I'd take that one. You can buy a nonrefundable ticket now for 16.90 EUR at https://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Posted by
616 posts

Trenìt.it which features both Italo and TrenItalia trains.
Also Trainline EU ( train app) which features all trains in Europe.
You may also buy your tickets from these platforms.
There is also Busradar where you can find timetables and buy both train and bus tickets for all Europe.
Bus tickets are often really cheaper and it may be a good solution when you have long trip across Europe and find a direct solution to leave around 20:00-21:00 and arrive at 6:00-9:00 hours the following day. They are however much slower than direct trains.
Very good however the connection between Florence and Perugia which is direct with Flixbus, cheap and saves you the worries to change trains in between of the trip

Posted by
20023 posts

The first Italo train to Salerno is 9:11 and arrives at 11:16, so the 8:40 Trenitalia Frecciarosso train is indicated.

Posted by
15797 posts

Or you can take the 8:40 Freccia to Salerno and arrive at 10:05. I'd
take that one.

I'd vote for this one too; gets you there in just 1 hr. 25 minutes, which is 35 minutes faster than anything earlier and with no train changes. € 16.90 is a very reasonable price, IMHO (although non-changeable and non-refundable).