Please sign in to post.

Train Strike

Hello all!
I am going to be taking Italian trains on March 23 and 24th and I saw online that they will be striking on those days.
On the 23rd I will be taking a regional train from Milan to Varenna to see Lake Como. Then on the 24th I will be traveling from Milan to Rome.

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously with planning a trip so far in advance our entire travel/ hotels are built around those dates...
Thanks for your help!

Posted by
363 posts

Hello Natalie, I have never been to Italy when there was not a train strike, that's at least 10 trips. For the most part life goes on and maybe the train is late or skips a run and we don't notice a thing. This last trip in October of 23 there was a transportation strike in Rome and 1/2 of the metro was closed and some, not all but some of the taxis were charging thru the nose to get across town. My best advice is to roll with it. What's the worst that can happen? Take and Uber? rent a car? It's Italy after all and the only way to enjoy it is to roll with it. It's fun that way. Joanne

Posted by
3958 posts

I’m not sure what will be operating and what won’t on your Milan to Varenna day but it happened to us once too. Here’s what we did. We had to go to the train station that went to Como not Varenna. Then we were told to take a bus to Mennagio. From Mennagio we knew we could take the ferry across the lake to Varenna. It worked out for us the day we arrived at Milan with a hotel waiting for us in Varenna but no trains going up the east side of the lake.

Posted by
817 posts

Same thing happened to me on exactly the same route.

Step 1) See if you can find the hours of the strike. They often from 9-9 (or 9-21) so if you can get on a train that leaves before the strike then you should be okay. Trains that aren't cancelled tend to run their routes before shutting down. We got out of Milan before 9:00 and made it to Varenna without issue.

The ugly reality is that local trains like Varenna routes are the most likely to be affected. Longer, bigger intercity routes like MIlan to Rome are more likely to run. In fact there is a list of "guaranteed to run" intercity trains that is published. These trains are usually three in the morning and three at night. Also check region because many of these strikes are regional and Trenord - that actually operates the Varenna train - may not be participating. Also .Italo private fast trains often do not participate in these strikes.

Step 2) Do you have an actual reservation on fast train from Milan to Rome? Check and see if it is on the list for trains that are guaranteed to go. If it is then I would just count on it going and don't miss it.

This is supposed to be list of all scheduled strikes in Italy but it is currently timing out for me:
https://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/calendario-scioperi
Here's a more specific version: https://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

This is the list of guaranteed trains through Jun of 2024. Check your train number against those going and see if it's on it.
https://www.trenitalia.com/content/dam/tcom/allegati/trenitalia_2014/informazioni/TABELLA_A_Treni_garantiti_DPLH.pdf

We were travelling from Verona to Venice on a wild national strike day and many unions that didn't usually participate - like the private trains and the vaporetti were joining in - and the guaranteed trains did go even if not at full speed. I had back-up super cheap tickets on the .Italo train and as a backup but I don't t know if it went or not.

And I'll say the ugly thing. If you are going to Varenna for only one overnight and your continuing trip to Rome is important maybe it would be best to play it safe and stay in Milan on the 23rd instead. The you'll be more sure of getting out and getting to Rome because you'll already be in Milan.

Good luck,
=Tod

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it.

Posted by
133 posts

I wrote to the person I will be visiting that weekend and she said there is no train strike planned for March 23.

So not sure if it is happening or not but that’s just what she said.

Posted by
64 posts

We planned to take a train on March 24. Was told by the hotel we booked for night of the 24th that they understand there will be a 24 hr train strike from 9:00pm March 23 to 9:00pm March 24.. We arranged alternative transportation.
Not sure if things have changed in last few days.