Please sign in to post.

Train Stations in Salerno

Just looking for a little clarification. Are there 2 train stations in Salerno.
One simply called Salerno which handles the direct train from ROme and the other Stazione Duomo via Vernieri which must handle local trains? If traveling to Pasteum Ruins, we would go to Stazione Duomo via Vernieri?

Posted by
6041 posts

We took the local train direct to Paestum from the main Salerno station

Posted by
3812 posts

I have entered Salerno and Paestum on trenitalia.com, most trains are direct.

You can take a train from the "Duomo - via Vernieri" station to Salerno.

Otherwise Put "Duomo - Via Vernieri" as departure station, Paestum as the arrival one and let trenitalia.com do its job. It will calculate Where and when you should transfer depending on the departure day & time you pick.

Posted by
654 posts

I took the train from the main Salerno train station to Paestum in October. I was unable to buy the ticket for the regional train at the station that I wanted so had to wait for the next train. They were limiting the number of tickets sold on each train at that time. I do not know if this has changed or not. Easy walk from the train station in Paestum to the ruins. I actually went twice in October so I highly recommend.

Posted by
4105 posts

From Salerno Centrale to Stazione Duomo (metro) via vernieri. Takes about 1 minutes. Cost 1€.
For your Paestum trip purchase both your departure and return ticket. They’re all regional trains so you can use on all regional trains.

If you need a relaxing break and like gardens, this little one is a gem.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/giardino+della+minerva