Please sign in to post.

Train station question

We made train reservations from Florence to Varenna. The train tickets say we stop in Milano central changing trains the Milano tutte station. Are these stations far apart and what is best transportation to take to Tutte Station?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide
Doug

Posted by
654 posts

Are you sure it doesn't mean all trains? To my knowledge besides Milano Centrale, there is Porto Garibaldi and Rogoredo. Tutte stazione just means to look at all the train stations when you are booking your ticket.

Posted by
20085 posts

"Tutte stazione" simply means "All stations" in Italian. So your ticket is good to any station in Milan. Suggest you get off at Milano Centrale, since that is where the train to Varenna-Esino departs from.

Posted by
7737 posts

This reminds me of the story of the American couple who parked their rental car in Italy and memorized name on the street sign so they could find the car again at the end of the day. The name on the sign was "Senso Unico." Which means "One Way". (^_^)

Posted by
11613 posts

You most easily will change trains at Milano Centrale. It's a big station but the trains all leave from one level, just check the electronic board for the connecting track number (Binario). No stairs to contend with.

Posted by
5211 posts

Doug,

Sam is correct..."Tutte stazione" simply means "All stations" in
Italian

I'm just wondering why your ticket would say that & not 'Milano Centrale', since that is the station where you will

transfer to the Regional ( Regionale) train that will be heading to Varenna.

When you board the train going to Varenna, make sure you sit on the left side for better views of the lake :-)

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
32202 posts

Doug,

Could you clarify that your ticket has "Tutti Stazione" listed on it? Tickets normally specify one particular station in each city. Also, have you bought your tickets from Milan to Varenna? The train on that route is a Regionale, and it's often awkward to buy tickets in advance for those.

Posted by
68 posts

I went back looked at the ticket from Trenitalia and it shows
Arrive from Florence 11:40 Am Milano Central

Leave 12:20 Milano (Tutte Le Stazioni)
Arrive Verenna- Esino
Regionale2560

Posted by
5211 posts

Doug,

So when you arrive at Milano Centrale, you have plenty of time to check the electronic board to find out which track your train will be leaving from. Sometimes the train may be on the track 15-20 minutes before departure, so if your train is there, you can board it & just wait.

Make sure you board it at least 5 minutes before because these trains tend to leave right on time.
We missed a train going to Varenna & we had to wait an hour for the next one...but when our train was just leaving, there was a young couple running to the train but they were too late & they had to wait for 2 hours for the next one...