Please sign in to post.

Train seats

Hello, I'm picking my seats for the train from Napoli to Rome. It seems to be an hour trip, is there is a big difference between standard, and premium? Standard is $21 Premium is $34.

Thank you.

Posted by
8889 posts

Second class seating is 2+2. First class is 2+1, with a little bit more legroom. Second Class is perfectly adequate
For lots more info, photos and videaos of the trains, see here: https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

I hope you are looking on the Italain Railways website ( http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en ), You don't quote dates, but for next April Trenitalia has prices starting from €16.90 2nd class, €29.90 1st class. Note Trenitalia are in €, not $.

Posted by
1625 posts

For that short of a trip choose the cheapest seats. I go 1st class for anything over 3 hours.

Posted by
3245 posts

For $13, I'd spring for "Premium". Standard should be just fine, but for an additional $13, you will have more space for yourself and for your luggage.

If your prices are actually in Euros instead of dollars, I would probably still go for Premium, but I wouldn't feel as smug about it.

Posted by
15174 posts

Standard is like business class on a plane. I find it adequate, especially considering you are traveling for only 70min.

Posted by
15810 posts

We always pick the cheapest seats and they've always been just fine; way better than coach seats on a plane!

Posted by
20100 posts

If you are looking at "Premium", I believe it is only 2nd class leather seats vs fabric seats in "Standard" plus a few amenities, like a newspaper and a cup of coffee. If you want the 2+1 wider seats with more legroom, you need "Business" or "First".

Edit - The "Premium" seats also recline a bit, "Standard" do not.

Posted by
1223 posts

Just buy standard seats. If you want to stretch your legs, walk down to the on-train bar and have a drink or a coffee. Watch the world go by at about 300 km/hr.

Posted by
9580 posts

for a one-hour trip, no need to pay the extra. Just go with standard.

Posted by
32212 posts

I agree with the others - second class will be perfectly comfortable, especially for such a short journey.

Posted by
115 posts

Thank you all, i've booked my train seats. We chose the premium seats. Can't wait for our trip.

Posted by
7312 posts

You didn't ask about this part, but note that the fare is also like an airline seat: Your ticket is only good on one particular departure. When we arrived early in Naples (from Sorrento) and had plenty of time to take an earlier Frecciarossa, our only option was to pay five times as much for a walk-up fare. (Proving there were empty seats.) We decided to sit on our bags ( ... maybe by now there's a Frecciarossa lounge ... ) for an hour to use our cheap, advance tickets. So if you're late,you're also out of luck.